1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie homesteader...set my first eggs today!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by slavedriver01, Mar 6, 2014.

1. slavedriver01

slavedriver01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    I've been reading this forum for months, and today I finally set my first eggs (and joined as a member!)...in a homemade incubator. I'm in Alberta, Canada and we recently purchased 127.4 acres of raw virgin land. We are literally doing a 180 degree turn from city slickers to homesteaders. We've begun upcycling items to build homes for our animals, composting, and chickens! We aren't even living on the land yet as it's way too cold to live in the travel trailer yet, but figured why not get our chickens started. Our coop is almost done, and I can't wait to share and read everyone's ideas and experiences!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch and all your poultry adventures and enjoy BYC!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Wow that sounds wonderful so are you going to dig a well or have someone come out and drill you one or is the area clean enough for you to pump is from a near by stream ???????

And power are you going solar or generator ??????

Do make sure all your animals are secure as some small animals can to in a 1/2 inch hole with out a problem so you might want to check on some of the coop plans .........

Do make sure where ever you store you animals feed it is dry and safe from contamination and for this I again would check out the learning center........

If you never lived in the woods then think about this, Medical supplies and I mean every thing and a lot of cough syrup and antibiotic sprays ......

Plenty of tools to work on your car .........

Fire fighting equipment ,,,,,, NO JOKE [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Always have plenty of dry storable food for yourself and caned food ......

Are you allowed to have a fire arm if they do not offend you then have or get one ......

Enjoy the great out doors it is great when your young .........

gander007 [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Wow, you've taken on quite an adventure! Have a look at our sister site, SufficientSelf.com, as well, for tips on homesteading etc. Enjoy!

5. slavedriver01

slavedriver01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    Thanks guys/gals!

The soil has been tested and is good to go for a water well. We'll be digging a pond for some ducklings later on in spring.

TONS of wild animals...coyotes, foxes, rabbits, a doe and her baby actually sleeping in the cleared spot we have for a yard, 2 snowy owls we've seen so far, moose, and a bobcat. Not too far away we saw a couple of wolves. A little freaky. We have firearms!! Lol and are actually allowed to hunt coyotes as its private land. Cougars and wolves as well apparently.

Our coop will be well protected and is close to the trailer so we can keep a close watch. I will admit I'm a bit nervous of some of the animals. But I'll get used to it.

We are doing solar power, and a wood burning furnace!

I'm on pins and needles waiting for spring so I can start my garden and attempt an orchard. I'm sure there will be a lot of trial and error, but I can't wait!! Especially for these little babies to start hatching!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Goodness, you have an entire zoo over there! Have you looked through the Learning Center articles yet? There is a bunch on chicken predators and pests and how to protect your flock. Enjoy your new venture and keep us posted!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hatch and all your other projects!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - congratulations on your new homestead.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. broodyhen2

broodyhen2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Wow that sounds fun what other animals do you plan on getting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by