newbie hopes life is good enough for her hens

msjones

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
Seattle
I can only let my 3 hens out for about 30 min each day. They look so thrilled when I let them out that I'm feeling guilty about keeping them in all day.

But I'd feel worse if a neighborhood raccoon (there are lots) or the neighbor dog got them. Or if they devoured my whole veggie garden with all my winter seedlings.

The run is about 22 square feet.

Of course, they have food and water. I throw some treats in every morning.

Are they fine? Am I ridiculous to worry about this? Someone reassure me!

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sure they are happy.

Mine only get out for an hour or so a day. The love it out the best. But I have lost several to coons, hawks and a bob cat. So unless I can watch them I am scared to let them out. A little bit is better than none. Don't feel bad I am sure they are very happy.
smile.png

I am sure they have enough space to be healthy and happy. Of course they go wild when theyget to explore the great outdoors....they're like little kids i an amusement park......Mine get out at least 2-4 hrs a day, sometimes longer. Everytime I let them run loose in the yard they act as if they have never been allowed out. Let them out as much as you can, keep them in the run when it's too risky. They'll be fine. You can give them whole cabbage or corn hung on a string to peck at or the flock blocks (homemade or from the store) and scatter treats that they have to scratch for. I'm sure other folks will have good ideas to keep them happy in the run...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom