newbie ~ hoping she does it right !

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TerryLou, Jul 8, 2011.

1. TerryLou

TerryLou Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Hello all ~

First post, but been reading as much as possible for over a month. I have "rescue Chickens". I believe 6 to be leghorns & 2 to be game hens - all female. We rescued 29 total (found homes for the others, but that's a whole different story).

They have been staying in a 10 x 10 dog run with a small dog house & 2 Kittylitter buckets as shelter/nesting areas (for the 6) & a 4 x 4 dog run & 1 kittylitter bucket for the 2 little ones. Both are currently topped with tarps & wrapped with chicken wire/hardware cloth (was using scraps as they were unexpected new family members, like most of my critters).

I want to build a coop for the 6. I am thinking a footprint of 4 x 4 (building on a pallet base) 6' high (no stooping to clean) and they will still have the 10 x 10 run. Game Hens will have to be housed apart for now as they are much smaller.

Questions:

Is the amount of space good for them ?
    Will it ever be feasible to put all 8 together (big six "beat up" little 2) ?
    Do I need to bury or cement the cinderblock legs or should the weight be enough to hold in place ?

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:As for your construction questions, im no help. If the little ones are being picked on they really should be separated.

3. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    That's 8 4x4 is the size of the "coop" and 10x10 for the run. The run sounds fine but if all eight were in 4x4 that would be too small. Check out the very top of this site page and click on coop design for help

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    You should probably keep them separated due to the size difference- you could build or buy a hutch for the two game hens. 4'x4' with a 10'x10' run will be fine for your leghorns- definitely check out the coops section, there are so many great coops on their I am sure you will find good inspiration! [​IMG]

5. TerryLou

TerryLou Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Thanks ! I am thinking a chicken tractor for the two game hens & sticking to the pallet coop for the leghorns, with their 10 x10 yard of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by