Newbie, I apologize in advance for the amount of stupid questions I will soon ask. Time from hatch t

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmurek, Mar 18, 2015.

1. mmurek

mmurek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Very excited about starting to raise chickens! How long should I expect to keep my chicks in the brooder before they move to the coop? Planning on getting some Sussex and Wyandots from a local breeder a week from today, they will be fresh hatched.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mitch

2. dandan111

dandan111 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Your going to need to keep them warm until they have feathers. depends how big you brooder is. You might need to set up a heat lamp after you move them out. Maybe 4 or 5 weeks then start thinking about you next step. A lamp in your coop might be pretty good.
    I moved mine to the barn pretty quick. i use a heat lamp all the time and a milk house heater at night.

3. mmurek

Mar 17, 2015
    I am in no rush to move them, just looking for an average time that would be best for the chicks.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! You will be in a hurry to move them out, because they will be incredibly dusty and unpleasant in the house. Cute, yes; messy, for sure. Also that dust is bad to breathe. Mine go to the coop, with a heat lamp, by three weeks of age. Better for everyone. Mary

5. mmurek

Mar 17, 2015
    Thanks Mary. The brooder will be in our heated barn, so mess is not a concern. The barn is heated by hot water pipes running through the concrete floor so even with our cold spring the chicks should be comfortable. I have some improvements I would like to make to the coop before I move them, not essential but to make it nicer for them.

6. lil farm girl

lil farm girl New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    NW Ohio
    Thanks for this post! I'm brand new to chicks also (we've bought a couple of hens who were already laying before). I have no idea on baby care ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by