Newbie- I got my chicks today.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urbanfarmgirl22, Feb 28, 2014.

1. urbanfarmgirl22

urbanfarmgirl22 New Egg

Feb 28, 2014
    Hi everyone! I am new here, and have a few questions about raising baby chicks. I'm sorry if this has been posted before, this is my first ever post although I've been lurking for quite some time. We got a mix of golden comet and buff orpington chicks from our local tractor supply store. I've got them home, we set them up in a pretty large box, with two heat lamps, water, and chick starter. This was all done at the recommendation of the lady at the store. She also gave us and antibiotic powder and told me to put 1 tsp in each gallon of their water... what I would like to know is, is there anything else I need to be giving them? Also, since it is still cold outside, they are obviously in my basement right now, where they are warm. I was informed by a friend of mine that I should purchase an air cleaner, because chicks can put a lot of bacteria into the air and cause our family to get sick... I've never heard of this, and no one has made mention of it to me. I of course don't want my family to get sick. I have a one year old and a six year old, but I have heard of many people keeping their chicks indoors for the first few weeks, and have never heard of needing an air cleaner? Can anyone inform me on this? Thanks!

2. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I personally have never heard of needing an air purifier for that specific purpose. Sooner or later you'll want them out of your house because the bigger they get, the stinkier they will be.

Congrats on your chicks... Buffs are one of my favorite!!

3. Gingersnap722

Gingersnap722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    Buffs are great!! I have 5 two week old Buffs. We used to keep our chicks in the house, right next to the kitchen and never used an air purifier. Congrats and we can't wait to see pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by