NEWBIE, I need some direction.....

Le Mitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Provence
so i own three chickens presently; and i have been longing at making my flock bigger, and im thinking of adding some Quail to the family.....
can they live together in the same house?
can they free range?
can i clip they wing feather so they dont fly away?
is it true they clean up after the chickens?
and how many sHould i start with??????

thanks in advance for your input!

just read through the post about chickens and Quails......
And so it is a BIG no no.....;
but i all the people i know here in france that own chickens also own Quail!
so im confused........

when the risk is diesese, but what if you get the chickens and Quail from the same farm?

im over my head here

barnie.gif

You can raise chicken & quail just not in the same pen. Here's my set up. The front pen is Bo
63768_finished_coop_001.jpg
b Whites the pen in the back is my chicken shack.

dear 7L
nice looking house.... as much as i would like to have few different types of bird, i thik you are right!
if i dont have seperent house for them just stick with chickens.....
so quail no good, is pheasants the same? if i build them their own house can they free rnge with my chickens

dont let them free range what ever you do they will fly away as soon as you put them on the ground allso they have to be on a wire cage with no 2 in. wire.
smile.png

They don't have to be on wire but many people do put them on wire as it is a bit more sanitary. Just make sure there is a place for them to rest those feet. What type of quail are you planning to raise? I may have missed that somewhere
smile.png
button quail for example have different needs from others that's why I am asking.

If it was me I'd build a pen like this & raise coturnix their great little birds. Their really tasty & fun to raise. They seem alot calmer than my bob whites. They don't freak out as much as Bob's. Just my opinion.
63768_quail_pen_012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom