Newbie in central Arkansas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickinsaw, Oct 9, 2015.

1. chickinsaw

chickinsaw Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    Central Arkansas, USA
    Not just a newbie...a N-E-W-B-I-E!! As in the first time I have ever been this close to chickens EVER!!! My hubs has decided he wants fresh eggs we now have a chicken house with enclosed pen and three chickens. Some friends have been kind enough to share a new brood with us...however, I have already heard a crow out of one and he refuses to step up and show himself to me.

Anyway, I thought I would join BYC as a way to educate myself a bit and learn some of the lingo. At this stage in my learning all I know is I have three chickens that should start laying in the next couple months. LOLOL...here's hoping I get the hang of all this!
    Fortunately, hubs is a well-raised country boy and has experience in all this. Here's a pic of the "girls" A-HEM...my niece has named them (from top to bottom) Ethel, Bernice, & Maxine. I'm just about convinced that Ethel and Bernice are boys.

I sure hope y'all have a lot of patience with super newbies...I'm actually enjoying just watching them wander in their new home...they are a bit relaxing to watch. : )

[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Which part of central Arkansas are you in? I was born in Hot Springs, AR, and still love that area. You have a beautiful flock. Thanks for posting the pic. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

3. chickinsaw

chickinsaw Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    Central Arkansas, USA
    Thanks so much for the welcome. I live just outside of Conway. Hot Springs is beautiful and one of my favorite escape locations...I try to get to the springs at least once a year in the winter. I've been browsing around and it looks like I have a lot of reading to keep me busy...what a helpful place. : )

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I have an uncle who lives in Conway, AR.

6. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Hi! Welcome to BYC! I am pretty new to all this myself. Love having chickens. I'm going to take a guess that the dark one, Bernice is you roo. But I'm just taking a guess. I want to see what some of the others say that have experience.

7. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens !

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When you post your photos please do state how old the birds were at that time. Age can make all the difference in the world. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by