Newbie in England (and an Ohio expat)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by collington, Feb 23, 2013.

1. collington

collington New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    nr. Brighton, England
    We have adopted two chickens from a local school that didn't want them. We have never had chickens and were lucky enough that we got the coop, food, feeders, etc - everything but the run! We have a neighbour, who is a fencer, installing a run for us - soon I hope! In the meantime we set up the shanty town you see below. (Although today (day 3) we opened it up and gave them run of the lawn.)

I'm pretty sure I'm cross-eyed from reading. Still have loads of questions that need answers though... thank goodness for this site!

On a side note: Does anyone know the easiest way to get grown chickens to enjoy being handled? They currently flee when they see us coming... I suspect the kids were a little over-enthusiastic at the school. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!!
    Lisa

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG] Glad you joines

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio.....so glad you joined BYC
    What a beautiful view you have there! Nice coop too.

My chickens come running to me when they hear me shake the little plastic container of scratch grain that I give them for a treat. Most chickens cant resist treats :) Good luck making pets out of yours-it takes a little time

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, collington, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you in our community! I like your renovation project! As far as taming adult chickens...I like the treat idea. Something else I've done is, when they're on the roost in the morning (might still be before dawn) you can hold one under your arm and walk around with it for a few minutes, petting it. When you set it down, just walk away. Do that a few times and it will be a much calmer and more trusting bird! Good luck to you!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

A lot of chicks go through a silly teenage phase where they think everyone is out to kill them. They will settle down as they get older. Keep offering them little treats and they will get used to you just fine.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Treats, treats and more treats! The way to a chicken's heart goes via it's crop :) If you have questions you can type in keywords relating to the query into the search bar on top, just below the brown header. It's like chicken google LOL There are so many wonderful threads and articles and discussions on every chicken topic you can think off right here. You are of course more than welcome to start your own thread too. Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Food is the 'great equalizer' when taming chickens. Welcome to BYC.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by