Newbie in Fla

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick-a-pen, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Chick-a-pen

Chick-a-pen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    North Florida
    Good Morning Everyone

I'm a new egg. Won't even have my babies until the end of month. ( can't wait ) I am very glad that I found you. you guys are a world of information. I was scared about getting the babies. Afraid I won't know what to do. But just reading your forum has helped me with alot of questions I had. So glad I found you all.

2. Chick-a-pen

Mar 6, 2012
    North Florida
    I do have a question about when I first get my chicks. Should I get some electrolyt for them? can I use pedialyte? also I hear alot about probotics where do I get that? how and when do I use it.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If they are coming in the mail, you want to be prepared for worst case senario which would be a delay in shipment. I have read that people have used unflavored pedialyte, I don't know dosage.
    You can use sugar water as a booster if needed. Your local feed store should have something available, sav-a-chick or vitamins/electrolytes.

Just make sure you have everything set up and at the right temp the day before you expect them. When you put them in the brooder, show each one where the water is (water is more important than food right away) then place some food on the floor. Usually paper towels or towels on the top of whatever bedding you are using is recommended so they know what is food. I have dropped crumbles around them, they are interested in the movement and then will eat it.

Good luck.

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    One year ago I was new at raising chicks and this site was more then helpful in every way. I think you will find the people very willing to answer any of your questions and be sure to use the search fuction as I do not think that anything that will come into your mind will be found somewhere on this site. We were all newbies at one time.

5. Chick-a-pen

Mar 6, 2012
    North Florida
    Thanks Neighbors.

6. Chick-a-pen

Mar 6, 2012
    North Florida
    can someone tell me where I can find the pine pellets. I have the shavings but would really like to use the pellets in my brooder

7. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Around where we live Tractor Supply has almost every kind of product that is in existence. I am not a fan of pine pellets and have found the shavings to work best for me. I use pine shavings in the coop and sand in the run. As for the borrider I do not think it makes much differnece what you use. I think I just used paper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by