Newbie in Fort Worth

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vzofam, Dec 27, 2016.

1. vzofam

vzofam Just Hatched

Nov 14, 2016
    Hi. In May we purchased 12 Brown Hylines from an organic egg supplier. They were about a year old. We turned our old kids' fort into a coop. In June I bought 3 Barred Rock babies. We own the property next to our home so the goal was to put the Rocks there. Then (chicken math) we bought 2 Ameraucanas and 3 Buff Orpingtons. So right now my 3 Rocks are laying and just today I let the other 4 (we lost an pro pretty early on) out to free range with the Rocks for the first time. My Rock alpha was not happy about those new girls even though they have been co-existing in pens next to each other for months.
    I've learned TONS since May, mostly from this site. I'd love to have friends in Fort Worth to talk to and share with. Anyone else close by?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Type 'Texas' in the search bar at the top of the page and do an on site search. Maybe some neighbors will turn up.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under vzofam [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, vzofam, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock and that you have found BYC useful - it truly is a great community! You might try the following link to talk to some of your Lone Star State neighbors: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

5. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you could share a picture, it would be fun to see how your kid's fort was turned into your coop (hope the kids didn't mind, lol).

Thanks for joining us!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Aren't chickens fun?

9. vzofam

vzofam Just Hatched

Nov 14, 2016
    I am not very good at figuring out how to post pics, but I changed my avatar to a pic of our coop. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by