Newbie in Illinois

rhondawho2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
All I have right now is the chicken coop still in the box. I've wanted chickens for years and give up on ever being in a rural home so, in town I can have up to five hens. I'm trying to decide if I want to start and incubate eggs or get day-old chicks, older chicks or adult birds. I'm almost positive I decided on Easter-Eggers. I can't wait! I want older birds so I can start getting eggs! Will they be too old to adjust? Doing a lot of reading...ughhh! Any help is appreciated. It's cold here and locals say wait until March to get chicks. Wait!!?

Hi newbie!

I'm also a newbie (but in Wisconsin). I'm waiting to get my first chicks until April so it will be warmer outside I want them in the house for as little time as possible so by the middle of May they can move to the coop. I know how you feel...the wait is killing me!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Very excited for you...They are fun.
We have 3 chickens and decided to go for young hens (16 to 20 weeks) just because winter was around the corner at the time plus all we had was a coop as well. I must say we have no regrets. We have been able to get get comfortable with handling the hens and learning their needs and behaviors. Me and my husband decided that if we could be successful at being chicken owners in general then maybe one day after we gained the confidence we'd try Chicks.
Good luck to you
big_smile.png

Hi CombatDiva!

I looked into started hens but I really want 5 different breeds and I can't find a hatchery around here that sells started birds in more than 2 breeds. Picky, picky, picky!! I am a bit worried that I may be jumping into the deep end but I think we will make it! Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Hi CombatDiva!

I looked into started hens but I really want 5 different breeds and I can't find a hatchery around here that sells started birds in more than 2 breeds. Picky, picky, picky!! I am a bit worried that I may be jumping into the deep end but I think we will make it! Fingers crossed!

Im sure that if you do hatch your own or start with chicks you'll do fine. And honestly theres a world of information on BYC and many other sources that will be avail to you for support for ANY situation. I don't think your jumping into the deep end lol. It'll be fun
jumpy.gif

All I have right now is the chicken coop still in the box. I've wanted chickens for years and give up on ever being in a rural home so, in town I can have up to five hens. I'm trying to decide if I want to start and incubate eggs or get day-old chicks, older chicks or adult birds. I'm almost positive I decided on Easter-Eggers. I can't wait! I want older birds so I can start getting eggs! Will they be too old to adjust? Doing a lot of reading...ughhh! Any help is appreciated. It's cold here and locals say wait until March to get chicks. Wait!!?
Hi, welcome to the forum. Incubating is probably not a good idea, because you could get half roosters, which I am guessing are not welcome in town. Besides incubating can be frustrating especially if you are inpatient. If you can find Easter Egger pullets or adults that you can pick up locally that would be great. Otherwise, plan on getting chickens in the mail in March. It is just too risky to send chicks or pullets in the mail if the weather is extreme. If you order day old chicks in the mail, ask them specifically not to add extra chicks because they will likely be roosters (unless you have a good home where you can send extra roosters). I enjoyed raising chicks, and it made the first egg laid all the more exciting. I think most pullets can adjust okay to a new home, but raising the chicks yourself gives you so much more control over how the chickens are socialized. If you ask a lot people who have a small flock, they will say chickens, are great pets and the eggs are just a great bonus.

I won't be incubating. I will be picking my day old chicks up from a hatchery so all should be good!

Thank you for the warm welcome! There is soon much great info on this site!

I've since got 4 Easter Egger hens and we all are doing fine (even during that deep freeze we had here in Illinois). One is about a year and a half. Another about 10 months and the other two are 6 month old pullets. No eggs yet but I don't use artificial light or heat so, we'll see. The breeder I got them from said the two oldest have layed before. It's so much fun!!

Back
Top Bottom