Newbie in Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bwockbwock, Jun 29, 2011.

1. bwockbwock

bwockbwock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Hi all,
    I am a newbie from central Maine.
    I am renting a place where I can have my horse and a few chickens and Muscovy ducks the owner could not catch were the first of my poultry clan here. I have lost some ducks, chickens, one cat and recently my young Tom royal palm turkey to a fisher and an owl. I herd everything into the barn at night and shut them in so it is reducing my losses. I have been going to chicken swaps to pick up some new chicken ducks, and turkeys, and have discovered that I have quite a nack for picking roosters [​IMG].
    Last Sept Hester the Muscovy hatched out 7 ducklings, every one of them is male. She is broody again and sitting on one lonely egg. I am hoping to find some eggs at the Augusta ME Tractor Supply to tuck under her.
    My one remaining hen that is old enough to lay is a banty that is sitting on a whopping three eggs, LOL.
    My flock now consists of 9 Muscovies, 8 males, one female
    5 Kahki Campbells I found within an hour of me through this forum, they were hatched i late March so i have not figured out who are boys and who are girls yet.
    One very lonely Royal Palm turkey who wanders around the yard peeping for her buddy she lost last week. I am in hopes the same breeder will be at this weeks swap and have another around the same age I can buy.
    I bought three Buff Orpingtons, two of those are Roosters.
    I have one Cochin Rooster I a hoping to find a lady friend for.
    I have 5 Golden Comet pullets, and you are supposed to be able to sex them from birth by color, but a couple of them are acting like roosters, sigh!
    I think it is time to give up and buy some hens if I ever want any eggs.
    I just bought a fake owl I am going to move around the yard, and have two strobe lights going at night I move around to deter predators from the yard. It is hard to tell if it is working because I am putting everyone in the barn at night and making sure my remaining two cats are inside.
    I also have a beautiful paint mare, very spoiled and very loved, a rescued pot belly pig I am working with, three pet aquatic frogs, and a turtle with a broken shell I rescued from the middle of Rt 202. I need to call some wildlife rehabilitators to see if they will take her and glue her shell back together, I understanfd you can fiberglass or epoxy a turtle shell
    but it is more than a one person job. I have her eating quite well, she likes strawberries, steak, worms, and any bugs I can get my hands on.
    My 91 YO Mom recently came to live with me, I am loving it, I get to tell her I love her every morning, and every night and hug her every day, I feel blessed.
    I like to make soap ad cheese, and cook..........
    ...so a long winded Hello from he Funny Farm!
    ...counting down posts until I can post a wanted to buy [​IMG]

Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
    — Margery Williams Bianco (The Velveteen Rabbit)

2. RoriStix

RoriStix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Old Colorado City
    Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you got yourself a nice place. I have to board my horses, but they're fairly close. On the bright side, somebody else does all the work, and I just get to have fun with them. I do like that. Good luck with all your animals. I hope the turtle gets its shell fixed. I have 2 rescued turtles (found in a foreclosed home wallowing in filth and VERY hungry!), but didn't have to worry about a broken shell. I did have to scrub the heck out of their shells, due to the crusted muck on them, but after that they were find.

Sounds like you and I have a similar array of pets, and also a soft spot for the ones that need rescuing! Good luck with all of your little critters, and I hope you can keep the predators at bay!

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Sounds like you stay busy, but if you're anything like me living without animals would be torture.
    Lots of good luck with all of your animals [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  4. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    [​IMG] from NW Georgia!! We are very glad that you have joined our flock! Know that the answers to any of your poultry questions are only a post and click away [​IMG] Enjoy!!

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

WELCOME!

10. 4-H chicken mom