Newbie in North Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GrayEyedGoddess, Apr 30, 2016.

1. GrayEyedGoddess

GrayEyedGoddess Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Florence, AL
    My husband and I are currently fixing up an old shed out back for the purpose of keeping laying hens. My mother-in-law has kept chickens nearly her entire life, so she'll be helping us out ALOT. I also have a 9 year old daughter who will be helping me take care of these "pets", so if anyone can recommend docile breeds, that would be great!

We haven't gotten any chicks, yet, but we're hoping to soon. The coop should be finished (at most) in another month. We just like getting the run finished and fabricating another door (the old one was just cheap plywood and was curled up on the bottom and rotting).

Super excited about having chickens and being part of this group!!

Robin
    Florence, AL

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

There are so many breeds to choose from - most of whom can make great pets, especially if properly socialized as chicks. Are you hoping for particular egg colors (brown, white, blue, green)? How many eggs per week would you like for each bird to provide? Do you like/dislike feathered legs/feet, feathered head dresses, fuzzy faces? Are there particular colors you do or don't like in a bird's plumage?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Robin, hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do. Some docile breeds are cochins, Black Australorps(lay brown eggs) Buff Orpingtons, etc. Kids usually love Silkies. They are not great layers but, often go broody - which means they want to sit on eggs and hatch them. People often buy just to use as natural incubators. Of course when they are sitting on eggs - they are not laying any new ones.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I vote for Buff Orpingtons!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello Robin and welcome to BYC - i wish you all the best on your impending chicken-keeping adventure.

All the best
    CT

7. GrayEyedGoddess

Apr 30, 2016
    Florence, AL

I would prefer colored and brown eggs,as to white, but we aren't too concerned about it. Egg production isn't a huge concern, since it will just be 3-4 hens. I would prefer them to not have the feathered legs. Basically, other than that, we aren't picky. We really just need sweet calm birds that aren't too flighty or mean.

8. GrayEyedGoddess

Apr 30, 2016
    Florence, AL

Yeah, my daughter saw a picture of a silkie and said that's what she wanted. We may eventually get one, but since I'm new to this, I won't be getting a rooster for breeding. So no hatching will be necessary. And I'd prefer to have to deal with a broody hen as less as possible.

9. CaradineCousins

CaradineCousins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Birmingham Alabama
    Welcome it's nice to meet another flock from Bama. We currently have Buff Orpington's (Buffy, Spring. Daphne) that are the sweetest birds we also have Easter eggers, black jersey Giants, golden laced wyandottes and barred rocks

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by