Newbie in North Texas (DFW)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jnswright, Mar 16, 2011.

1. jnswright

jnswright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    North Texas
    Just a quick post to say hello...

I've been lurking for a short time reading all the info I can on coops and chickens. We've never had chickens and are really wanting to start. I must say that there is so much info that on the surface it seems difficult to get started and I'm a bit overwhelmed (almost lost)... I have questions on where to place a coop on our property (1.25 acres, much of which is just bermuda grass)... every day I read more threads about coop design, heat (which is a concern as we often get 100 degrees in the summer), free range, tractors, permanent coops, flooring (was just reading the cedar vs. no cedar thread), and more...

I'm sure I'll get it figured out and its nice to have access to such a wealth of knowledge that BYC has...

Anyways... Hello.... [​IMG]
    John

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

AC

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio!
    It really isn't as overwhelming as it seems-they need food, water, a safe shelter, ventilation, and clean bedding. Other than that, it is just personal preference.

4. jnswright

Mar 15, 2011
    North Texas
    Thanks...
    Just found the template... Here we go...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes... very new to chickens... Don't have any yet as we are just getting started. Trying to decide on where to place a coop on our property and then need to build the coop.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None...

(3) What breeds do you have?

We'll need to figure out which breeds to get. I've done a little looking, but nothing really firm. We'll want egg layers and some for meat.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Hard to miss BYC if you do a google search... I also bought Chicken Coops for dummies, Chickens for dummies, and one other book that just arrived last night.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

My other 2 big hobbies are Photography and Horses. I am a part time photographer (PhotoBlast Photography) and photo editor (I created and own EZ Actions). A few years ago, my wife and I wanted to take horseback riding lessons and have been with it ever since. We ride at least once a week (we don't own horses yet) at a local barn. I thought it would be cool to merge 2 of my hobbies together (horses and photography) and created a new site called NickerTown... and I've spent most of my spare time over the past several months getting that site going.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I love a lovely bride with whom I've shared the last 26 years. We have 3 kiddos (not really kids anymore) - 25 y/o daughter, 21 y/o daughter (about to graduate from college), and a 19 y/o son (who loves to cook). We just got a new dog - a border collie mix (from the pound) and have 2 parakeets (one of which I caught in our backyard), and lots of fish. I am a USAF and ANG veteran and have been in IT for over 20 years (now with a very large communications company HQ'd in the UK).

fun stuff... [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan! Getting some started birds is a great way to jump in. They aren't as delicate and are great to learn on.

6. pyricha

pyricha Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    from southcarolina

7. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    [​IMG] from mn.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. jnswright

Mar 15, 2011
    North Texas
    Thanks y'all...

10. tropical459

tropical459 New Egg

Mar 13, 2011
    Hello everyone,

My name is Vicki and I live in Bridgend, South Wales, UK. My daughter has just bought me a chicken coop. I have three chihuahua's and I am worried that they will not be friendly to any chickens I might decide to buy. The coop is empty because I have a tiny garden and I am worried that I will not be able to cope with chickens and dogs! Do chickens take a lot of looking after? I have enough poo to scoop up after the dogs, are chickens messy? Would be glad of any encouraging words.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by