Newbie in Northern New York

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AmyLynn2374, Oct 12, 2014.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Hi there! My name is Amy, I'm new to this whole chicken thing. I homeschool my 6 year old son and as a project for our Oviparous animal study (at the urging of my oldest sister who does raise chickens) we decided to try to incubate some eggs. She provided the incubator and eggs and promised to take the chicks after hatching.
    Well, I apparently screwed up and we ended up with two hatches and only one that made it after hatching (hatching was late).
    Of course we fell in love with "her". She'll be 4 weeks this Tuesday, at least I have come to the conclusion she is a she....lol. Since my sister has multiple breeds/mixed it's probable she is mixed and I have absolutely no idea what breed(s). Of course we are keeping her and will be setting up a whole pen/run/coop in the spring. Seeing as how we live about an hour from the Canadian Border and are supposed to have an awful winter, she will be housed with us. We have plenty of room and she already has an awesome set up inside.
    I came to be on BackYardChickens.com simply because just about every time I googled with a question, the best resources and most interesting threads were those that came from here. (I found myself laying in bed on my laptop reading posts well into the night...lol)
    Seeing as how my son would like to give it another try, we are planning on setting up again at the end of the week with new (calibrated) thermometers and knowledge of errors and hopefully having a better hatch for our second attempt.
    Besides being a homeschool mom, I am a single mom and caretaker of my elderly (83 year old) father, so we stay busy, but we are very blessed and no have a new found love and respect of chickens. I can honestly say that I never understood chickens as pets or how easily it can be to bond with a chicken, but, now I'm hooked. lol

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Amy, you certainly live a busy life. Have you checked out the threads here on incubation and hatching? I never have incubated chicks, so I can't offer personal advice. But, I know accurate thermometers and hygrometers make the job somewhat easier.& more successful l'm sure others coming along with have links for you.

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I have. I even posted on one of the threads last night. [​IMG] Thank you!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry about the hatches. I hope this next attempt goes smoothly for you. Have you looked at this article on hatching from our learning center yet? This may give you some tips and hints for your next hatch..https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

So glad you could join our community!!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your next hatch!

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Thank you for the welcomes and for the links. [​IMG]

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
    I'm homeschooled!:D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Amy. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) I'm sorry you lost most of your first hatch and hope the next one goes better. My wife and I homeschooled our children, and now my daughter is following in our footsteps with my granddaughter (pictured in our avatar). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your next hatch.

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by