Newbie in NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tjbaker70, Mar 2, 2017.

1. tjbaker70

tjbaker70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2016
    New York
    Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking here on BYC for a while as my family and I prepare to raise some chickens. I’ve learned so much and love reading your posts! Great site and so much sage wisdom. Love it!

We have 25 chicks arriving next week from McMurray Hatchery. I am pretty much over the moon as the day approaches. [​IMG]

After much debate and discussion, we decided to go with a diverse flock of hens: 2 Blue Andalusians, 2 Buff Laced Polish, 2 White Crested Black Polish, 2 Dominiques, 3 Delawares, 4 Rhode Island Reds, 4 Buff Orpingtons, 4 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Salmon Faverolles. I have concerns the RIRs may be too dominant over the others. I’d love to hear form others on this issue.

We have a 100 ft^2 coop and a couple acres, though are working on a run for these girls. We will brood them in our garage for a few weeks because we have no power to our coop and we are still getting freezing temps at night occasionally.

Our youngest is a 4H kid and has really been looking forward to raising chickens and it’s been fun learning together. He only wants Polish breeds after seeing them at the fair last summer, but my husband and I are less keen on them because they don’t seem as cold hearty - from what I have read - and we live in NY. In addition to chickens, we are also preparing for bees in late May. We can often be found out wandering trails, exploring woodland ponds, or helping all manner of retiles and amphibians cross roads.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Wandering trails in the woods is a good way to grow up - worked for me. Good luck with your chicks.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, tjbacker70, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Sounds like you have a a good plan going! BYC will be here to help you with questions you have along the way. A great place to start is the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It is loaded with great articles that cover the range of poultry topics. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

4. tjbaker70

Dec 31, 2016
    New York
    Thanks for the welcome sourland! Definitely no place better to grow than the woods!

5. tjbaker70

Dec 31, 2016
    New York
    Thanks for the welcome redsoxs. This site is an amazing resource. I am thrilled to join this vibrant community!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under tjbaker70 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. [​IMG]

8. tjbaker70

Dec 31, 2016
    New York
    Thanks for the welcome Teila! I have indeed started to get the sense that some of my family members and people at work aren't quite as excited to her about chickens! This will be a much better outlet.

1 person likes this.
  9. tjbaker70

Dec 31, 2016
    New York
    Thanks for the welcome drumstick diva! Looking forward to participating in this great community!

10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

That's a nice assortment of breeds! I have had RIR's in a mixed flock and really enjoyed them. They seem to have a reputation for being difficult but mine were great (one of them was my husband's lap chicken). You might want to keep an eye on the Polish...their top knots seem to make them a target for pecking by the other birds.

Good luck to your son with his 4H project and thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by