1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie in Raising Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rkelly01, Apr 24, 2017.

1. rkelly01

rkelly01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Illinois
    Hi All,

So excited about this site and becoming a member. I have 4 chicks that are approximately a week old. I've been handling them daily in hopes that they will be not only layers but pets as well. Hope I'm going about this correctly. I also have them in a rubber maid bin and was wondering what to do with them if they outgrow it. I have a cape cod coop on the way.

1 person likes this.
  2. PoultryAddict 1

PoultryAddict 1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Look's like your doing it right!
    Because your chicks are a week old, and the new coops on the way they probably won't outgrow it, but if they do or the coop has to be sent back for any reason, I have had great success keeping chicks in a spare bathtub, there is plenty of room and is easy to clean when they "move out". Hope that helps! Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. rkelly01

Apr 24, 2017
    Illinois
    Thanks for the warm welcome and great advice.

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under rkelly01 [​IMG] Welcome & Congratulations!

Raising People Friendly Poultry was a recent Topic of the Week and you might find this thread helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1166424/topic-of-the-week-raising-people-friendly-poultry

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. rkelly01

Apr 24, 2017
    Illinois
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I used to be a prisonar to facebook, so thus is sooooo much of a better use of my time. Love thus site.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by