Newbie in San Diego County

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by millionsafari, Jul 6, 2016.

1. millionsafari

millionsafari Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    VALLEY CENTER, CA
    I am a native Californian who has returned after 30+ years in Virginia. We bought this house 2 years ago and 2 ancient hens were part of the deal. I've enjoyed having the Backyard Chickens site as a resource for all my chicken raising questions. Since moving here, we lost one of the old ladies, acquired 2 Golden Phoenix hens, and most recently acquired a GP cockerel. My immediate issue are 2 bantum roosters from a neighbor's house that are settling into my yard all day. What would the best forum be to ask sort of an "etiquette" question? Thanks for having me!

2. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Hi! So glad you posted!
    I think your local state thread or area thread would be best for those kinds of questions. Though I can assure you that you are not alone. I have yet another one of my neighbor's hens sleeping in my coop. :he
    I have a unique situation though. In most cases, your options are to: ask the neighbors to help you keep contamination down. Make it sound like a huge safety concern (it kinda is).
    Offer to alternate free ranging days (assuming you do too).
    If you are not free ranging, you can say you are simply uncomfortable with stepping in their messes and/or say they are tearing up your grass. Make it all sound sweet and helpful to them if you can.
    :hugs Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] and so glad you have joined us.

Have you considered just talking to your neighbor?

2 people like this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You've received excellent responses - success depends on what type of neighbors you have. Newbies who don't understand the process or folks who feel they can do what they please

. We had the later with a dog person who had many various breeds and turned them all loose. She felt the world was her backyard. After many, many years she has thankfully just moved away. But there was no reasoning with her - she was Queen of the world. I am a dog lover but, she made no effort to train, maintain or restrain them.

You may have to put up fencing etc. to keep "their" birds away from yours.

1 person likes this.
  5. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and welcome to BYC!!

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. millionsafari

millionsafari Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    VALLEY CENTER, CA
    Thanks! I have been communicating by text keeping the owner up to date. There is a culture/language difference on top of it all. Mostly her replies are to thank me for telling her. Grr. Yesterday I suggested she consider re-homing the 2 roosters to someone with hens, since the boys have no flock of their own to manage. She said thanks, she would get some hens! LOL, I may have created an even bigger visitor problem! Anyway thanks for the good advice re: neighborly behavior.

8. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    [​IMG][​IMG] I get it. There are no words. I am just so sorry. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by