Newbie in Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newchickjess, Mar 15, 2016.

1. newchickjess

newchickjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    Hi everyone! Jessica here from the tiny town of Elysian Fields, TX. We will be getting our first ever chicks this week! I've always been terrified of birds so this was my teen daughter's idea. I'm still excited anyway [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jessica

Glad you could join us here! I'm sure you will enjoy this new experience very much. I too was petrified of birds for many years but out first two chickens restored my faith in them. They scared me to death at first but with time I learned they were not scary at all but fascinating!! They set me off on my chicken adventures and I've not looked back as I'm sure you won't too.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. newchickjess

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    Thank you! I'm remaining positive! The more I research, the less scared I am. I'm currently trying to come up with coop and run plans for when our babies are ready. Any thoughts on the best bedding to use instead of pine shavings?

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] chickens are awesome pets. They will surprise you!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Jessica,

If you haven't already, check out the Coops tab to see some great designs...there are a lot of good ideas there. There's also a coop/run forum where you can ask questions or opinions on your project.

Have fun!

7. newchickjess

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! The coop section popped up on a Google search and is the reason I decided to join. I've seen several designs I like. The first question I have to answer is how many babies do I want to start with!! Is six a good start without being too overwhelming?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Baby chicks are not scary. They do some pecking but, not meant as aggression. They don't have hands so that is the way they explore everything. They are so funny and cute, it's easy to love them. Your confidence will build because you'll be there from start and grow with them.

9. newchickjess

Mar 15, 2016
    Elysian Fields, TX
    I'm looking forward to this experience! After the first little pecks, I'll be over the fear. I also have a feeling I'll be wanting more babies

10. KoopersCoop

KoopersCoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2015
    Chesterton Indiana
    Welcome to this wonderful group!!!! Good luck with your new baby peeps! Keep us posted and love pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by