Newbie in UK waves hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katiepoole, Mar 11, 2015.

1. katiepoole

katiepoole New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Hi there I'm a newbie to BYC based in Gloucestershire in the UK. I have had a few chooks before, but am hoping to hatch and raise a mixed batch very soon so thought I'd join to benefit from everyone's expertise and support!

In the past I've had a lavender pekin (Gretel), a Plymouth Rock/Orpington cross (Henny Penny), a gorgeous but vicious bantam partridge Wyandotte (Mabel), and two bantam Orps - one black (Dixie) and one a strange buff/partridge mix (New Gretel - as named by my 3 year old daughter after the sad loss of Gretel who had been her favourite).

This time I'm thinking of some buff Sussex, Welsummers, a pekin or two to keep my children happy, something for blue or green eggs (though I don't like the crest that comes with most of them - sorry!) and maybe another Orp as they're just so lovely! Anybody else got any favourites?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, and Wyandottes are my favorite breeds. I would love it if would share pictures of your hens!

3. katiepoole

katiepoole New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Thanks, Chicken Girl1! Here's a couple of pics for starters

[​IMG]
    This is Henny Penny, the Plymouth Rock/Orp cross.

[​IMG]
    And here is the lovely Gretel.

Mabel is the one on my profile pic - she survived two fox attacks! She was a proper feisty little madam!
    I don't think we have Easter Eggers over here as such, but there are plenty of named crosses that produce coloured eggs (though in some cases you're not allowed to sell hatching eggs)

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Gorgeous hens!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Lovely hens!

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Welocme to BYC!![​IMG]

I just love HennyPenny, she is so cute!! I once had a hen named HennyPenny, but hse died from a dog attack[​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Gretel and Henny Penny are beautiful!

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    From up in Yorkshire!! Love your pics they are great. Good luck with your hatching hope you have a good one. My favourite breed has to be the polish but as you are not keen on the crests they may not be your cup of T. They are super friendly and come in many colours so are different to look at.

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC. I am sure you will everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

9. katiepoole

katiepoole New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Wow, everyone's so kind and welcoming! You're right, Yorkshire Coop, Polish aren't quite my thing, but they do make me chuckle!
    So sad, ChickyChick about the dog attack. We have lost three of ours to fox attacks, one to disease, and we think New Gretel flew away (completely disappeared with no signs of fox attack, and other two chooks left untouched). I miss them all but am excited about potential new chooks - just hope the hatching goes well.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by