Newbie in West Tennessee!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by echoday, Apr 8, 2012.

1. echoday

echoday Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    West Tennessee
    Hi all!

My name is Echo and my family and I are new to raising chickens. We've been thinking about it for years and yesterday picked up three Rhode Island Red and two Dominique chicks. (I'm asking for a Silkie for Mother's Day. lol.)

In addition to our new flock, we have two indoor cats and four children. We live in West Tennessee, in Tipton County, where I work as the news editor of our community-based newspaper.

I grew up in cities and never dreamed I'd live in the country, have four children and, especially, CHICKENS! My great-grandparents used to raise chickens as well and my grandparents were all raised on farms (as most people were during the Depression). My parents grew up in a small town near their grandparents' farms and so actual farming has been a couple of generations removed from the family. My husband and I want to raise our chicks for their eggs and also their waste (for the garden) as well as for pets for our children. We are slowly going green and want to become more self-sufficient and less dependent on grocery stores.

That's pretty much IT on us! We're excited to join this fascinating (but assuredly more tiring!) new world.

2. gabirder

gabirder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    [​IMG] from the gateway of the Okefenokee Swamp and the Folkston Funnel - a train watchers paradise!

We are slowly going green too. (My wife has decided our entire backyard should be a garden [​IMG]. - Which it now is.)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!
    [​IMG]

6. micareli

micareli Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    If I remember my TN geography, you are about 50 miles to martin TN,..... WELL WORTH THE DRIVE to the RURAL KING

7. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    Welcome![​IMG] So glad you joined! Have fun with the little guys![​IMG] I hope you get your Silkie![​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens