Newbie...Incubating Quail Questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by karaokechick, Nov 18, 2010.

1. karaokechick

karaokechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    I set my shipped button quail eggs November 3 in the evening, I tried candleing but couldn't see squat, so they have been in Lock down since Tuesday and not a single pip. I just realized my incubator temp is much lower on the bottom where the quail eggs are like 96-97, will this cause a late hatch or a NO hatch?

[​IMG]

Any help is much appreciated!!
    Thank You in advance!!!
    Deana

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You might get some to hatch, though they would be very late. But I wouldn't be surprised if none of them hatched [​IMG]

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have that same incubator!!

4. karaokechick

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    I was hoping for one or two. They were shipped, but from in state, so they arrived in a day. But I didn't realize how low the temp was in the bottom of the bator. My own fault. I guess I should start looking for more eggs. [​IMG]

5. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You could always look inside some. That's what I did. Mine were really late so I took a few out and took a tiny nail and put a little hole in the air cell and then looked in. Many of then had no development and a few had died in the eggs but one was alive so I left the rest alone and I had 7 total hatch but 3 died shortly afterwards but now I have 4 beautiful babies.

6. karaokechick

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    I opened one in the aircell and he it definatley ALIVE!!!!! I put it back in the bator! wooo hoo!

7. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never heard of doing that. I thought any break in the shell would kill them from bacteria introduction.

8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X 2

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Your eggs aren't due to pip yet! Don't mess with them! It's too early for them to hatch. It's only been a few hours over 14 days for your eggs. You should expect at least 16 days, and that's if they hatch on time. Since your incubator temps are low are low you should expect them to take LONGER, not shorter.

10. karaokechick

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Oh poop! I screwed up! I don't know what to do about the one I opened the air cell on...should I toss it? geez nevermind, it's alive I can't do that! I guess at this point only time will tell.
    Thank You for pointing out my mistake!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by