Newbie Incubator Advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Oct 27, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What would be a good beginner incubator for hatching a small amount of eggs - say no more than 10 (or less)? And where should I be looking for it/buying it?
    Never done this before, but want to give it a try - I will be researching before diving in...
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mwaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaaa!

I highly recommend the Brinsea MiniAdvance or MiniAdvance EX, depending on how much you want to spend. Both units are digital, have autoturners, and the EX model has a humidity pump. The non-EX unit will count down the days (you set) and automatically stop 3 days before the hatch date, for the lockdown period. But you have to monitor and adjust the humidity yourself.

They each hold 7 eggs, a good number for a beginner.

I have two of each (plus 3 Brinsea Octagon20 Advance EX units).
    Here's one of each; an R-Com Mini above the two Brinsea MiniAdvance units - the EX model after chicks hatched and the other eggs haven't, yet

[​IMG]

Here's the non-EX model in use, with an hygrometer inside:
    [​IMG]

And here's what the top of it, the controls, look like:
    [​IMG]

You should only buy at the Brinsea site, as it has the cheapest prices of any I've seen anywhere, except used ones on eBay.
    (Still on sale!)
    http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Mini_Advance_fully_digital_7_egg_incubator-230.aspx

The EX model is no longer on sale.
    http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Mini_Advance_EX_fully_automatic_incubator-232.aspx

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Cool. Thanks. The Non-ex model is in my price range... seems to do everything except control humidity. How do you control that with this model. It appears to supply humidity, but not control it?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You put water in the reservoir in the middle. Get a small hygrometer (I got mine at PetSmart for $6.99) and just lift the lid of the 'bator and add more water when it needs it. If you get it too high too soon, lift the lid for a few seconds every couple of hours to let out the excess. Basically, you put water in one half of the reservoir until lockdown (adding some to that one side when necessary) and put water in BOTH sides during lockdown.

I had two successful hatches with the MiniAdvance units before buying the EX models, so it really do-able. Trust me - I need idiot-proof incubators! These are plug & play!

5. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Great advice!
    Quote:

6. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    If using the ECO, will it greatly effect the temps having to open 3 times a day to rotate? - and do these times have to be 8 equal hrs apart?

7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
  8. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Quote:While I own one of the bigger EX models, I haven't used it yet...BUT, I've done ooooodles of research and posted a few threads and bugged any Brinsea owner I could find before making the leap into ownership, so...

Pretty much across the board, owners of the Brinseas see no issue with temperature rebound in any of the models. They are factory programmed and seem to be extremely well designed, even if you have to open for adjustments here and there. This is in stark contrast to the LG Still Air I started with. Open up that bad boy and it could take the rest of the day for things to get back to the right range![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by