newbie Incubator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macbooknerd, Mar 31, 2012.

1. macbooknerd

macbooknerd New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    My wife recently purchased me a little giant incubator and egg turner from tractor supply, On the side of the box there's accessories that you can get also. Is the forced air fan kit really needed? Kinda stupid to buy it if so many other things are needed to hatch. Your thoughts?

2. helomech

helomech Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    East Texas
    Our hatch rate increased when we bought the forced air kit. It also seems to help keep the temp more stable.

3. macbooknerd

macbooknerd New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I was wandering they want 40 dollars more for the fan it seems to look like a computer fan.

4. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    A lot of people use a computer fan. Just have to make sure you put some hardware cloth or something over it to make sure the chicks do not get caught in the fan. If u use a computer fan you should place it so the fan blows the air upward and not onto the eggs directly. I have not gotten one yet but I am going to for my next hatch. Good Luck!

5. helomech

helomech Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    East Texas
    There isn't much room in the incubator what ever you get make sure it is not very thick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by