Newbie info needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zoey1669, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Zoey1669

Zoey1669 New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Hello all,

I just placed my chick order for 15 different (Americans some crosses ) . I am now trying to figure out what coop we should build. (I bought Stonys guide to chickens ) so i have an explanation of the different kinds. We live in NH so it get chilly. Our home is only on .25 acres the back yard is fenced in (4 feet chain link) . My garden is open and the yard slops up ward there are no trees . I want then to free range while i garden does anyone do this? do you think the chickens will dig up my plants? so what i was thinking was a enclosed coop with an attached 100 sf yard. none movable with sand under it. any tipps or ideas ??

2. Zoey1669

Zoey1669 New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    opps ~ the coop would have a wood floor and the run would have sand.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The chickens will dig up everything they can reach, especially flower or garden beds. They seem to be particularly fond of tender plants, such as: vegetables and annual flowers. The good news is that chicken wire, useless for protecting chickens from predators, will keep them out of your garden.

Chris

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by