1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie Intro

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Toast n Jelly, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Hi all I'm new to this board but have been a member of BYC as a lurker mostly [​IMG].

I have 26 eggs in the bator ....28 chickens in the coop...2 hens in bumblefoot-bay (hen hospital) and 6 chicks in a brooder. Do I fit in? LOL

Anyway glad to be here!

Norma (Canada)

2. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Of course you fit in! Welcome to our crazy world! [​IMG]

Do tell- what breeds do you have, and where in Canada are you? (I'm nosy!)

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Love the avatar with all those colours...

4. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Well Carol ....Lets see, I first put in White leghorns then added some surprise eggs bought from a farmer at the market thinking they prob. wouldn't be fertile but 7 were [​IMG] then I went back and got a doz more and will candle in a few days to see how many are going to grow.

They would be layers and perhaps mixed...that's the surprise! I love my generic breeds lol....I do mixes with a very tall Silkie rooster on all sorts of hens and are they ever gorgeous. Obviously I don't show and these chickens are my sweeties.

How about you? what do you have and like to do? I'm nosey too [​IMG]

I live on the South shore of Montreal, Quebec...where winter has finally found us :mad:

Norma

5. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Thanks Spotted Crow (love your name) I'm going to have a lot more of the colors since I hatched a lot of chickies [​IMG]

Oh and BTW.....I have Standard Silkies that lay a beautiful rich and shiny green egg .......yep green egg and unfortunately I can't send eggs to the States. Many people have asked for them.

Norma

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

TY, Rainbow...My Leghorn lays pink eggs, my Silkie mix lays tan, and my Brahma laid one single Baby Yellow egg...
    We don't have Standard Silkies in the States, darn it! We'll need pics, you know...[​IMG]

7. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Sorry Spotted Crow...didn't mean Standard as in size but as in looks just like any other Silkie and is not a mix which most people think because she lays green eggs:). But a lot of my roos seem to be quite large compared to the usual seen in photos so maybe they came from across the water at one time...who knows?

Those sound like some good looking eggs and I seem to have a thing for good lookiing eggs:lol:.

8. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Rainbow- I love the different colors eggs too. I just have white & brown ones so far. I do have a couple EE hens, so I'm waiting on blue or green!

I have a hodge-podge of breeds, and alot of mixed silkies. I have chanteclers (YAY-Canada!), polish, cochins, silkies, OEGB's, a brahma, a Iowa Blue, a cornish, naked necks and showgirls!

9. chickchair

chickchair Rest in Peace 1959-2011

Jan 3, 2007
    Nothing to add from the posts already....Just wanted to say Welcome to BYC!

10. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Carole I know just how you'll feel when you get those colored eggs!
    Boy you just made my list a little longer and I know I haven't the space...oh dear:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by