Newbie Introducing myself and my ducks! :-) PICS of My Ducks *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dawnjoennikki98, Oct 27, 2010.

1. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone! My name is Dawn, and I am a single mom to one 11 yr. old daughter, Nicole. We live in NJ. (down the shore).
    On a whim this summer, I decided to do something my daughter has wanted to do forever...incubate some duck eggs. So I ordered the incubator and ten eggs from Duckeggs.com....lol....Now, we love animals and have had many, but I have never done anything like this before. So, in my mind, I was expecting maybe one egg to hatch if any! Well, 28 days later, after watching over these eggs like hawks, lol, we got 8 baby ducks! We didn't know what kind at that time, but now they are 8 weeks old, and HUGE. 4 Blue Swedish, 3 runners, and one I'm not sure, maybe you guys can help. Me and my daughter are in love with these guys. I wish i could stay home and play with them, and build things for them all day lol. (more on needing help with that later, in another post) They each have their own personality and are hysterical. not sure who's male or female yet either, but have ideas from their quacks...no curled tail feathers yet.... I'm going to post some current pictures of them this afternoon, so stay tuned! [​IMG] I'm proud of myself really for how big and healthy they are now. a couple were born with twisted feet, couldn't even walk first few days, but all are doing great. Lucky's legs shake a little, but he gets around great, and it is adorable!! lol. They've started to flap their wings alot now, but no trying to take off yet.. how soon will the drakes get the curl? at what age will the hens start laying? thanks everyone! I have been reading the boards for two months now, and have learned so much from you all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a couple more baby shots...how fast they grow up!! [​IMG]

3. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Nice ducks, you should always remember they will grow up, specially before getting them.

4. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Welcome to BYC. Love the pictures. I love my ducks. Ducks are wonderful pets.

5. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks! oh i knew how fast they grow lol, and actually i enjoy them even more now than when they were ducklings! :)

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They are always so cute when they are little. I hear you have some leg problems. Are you giving them extra niacin? I actually give mine an electrolyte/vitamin/mineral supplement when they are young. This helps a lot with slight weaknesses. See if you can find something in the feed store for poultry. I keep mine on it for their first 10 days, after that weekly until they are 12 weeks old, and after that monthly for the rest of their life. A product I like to use comes in powder form and is more then enough for one year for 9 ducks.
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=231
    You can also get some niacin tablets in the vitamin isle at Walmart. You mix 100mg per 1 gallon of drinking water.
    Enjoy them while they are still tiny. They will grow way to fast.

7. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Welcome! What cuties you have. Looking forward to the grown-up pics.

8. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thank you katharinad![​IMG]
    they are 8 weeks now. I was giving them a vitamen pak for ducks, a little in their feed each day for the few weeks,
    plus duckling food. They are now on adult duck food, and free range.
    The only one who has any problem is lucky, but I wouldn't call it a problem, cause he does everything the other ducks do, he runs, he swims, he fights for tomatoes when they get an occasional treat, lol. his legs just "quiver" sometimes. this has been since he hatched.
    Should i feed him something different than the other ducks, or give him more niacin? do they all continue to need niacin, even on duck food, and free ranging? thanks so much for your advice!

9. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    oh, BTW, their legs are all perfectly straight now. It was just the last two to hatch that had turned feet and/or legs. two days after they hatched they were perfectly straight though.

10. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Turned in legs at hatching are quite common. They straighten out in no time. Looks like you are giving them the right stuff already. He may or may not get better, but it is not bothering him so I would not worry to much. Commercial feed usually does not have enough niacin. So supplementing occasionally will do the trick. It's not so much of an issue in summer when they free range and eat tons of greens. In winter they will need a little bit of help. Best is to add the supplement to their drinking water once or even twice per month during winter. Not sure how much niacin is in your supplement. Niacin (vitamin b) is water soluble so you cannot really over dose on it, unless you give massive amounts of it. You can get niacin from the store and mix it into the drinking water once per month in winter to make sure they get enough. For now I would keep them on the vitamin water you are giving until they are 12 weeks old. That perhaps takes care of his problem. You never know. Walking is also good for him, because it will strengthen his legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by