Newbie introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by princesschickens, Jul 24, 2011.

1. princesschickens

princesschickens New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    We live in beautiful Northern Colorado at the base of the Rockies. We have been married for 28 years, have four children, 1 spoiled dog and 8 very pampered hens, who live in what we refer to as the Palace, constructed by my husband from as many recycled materials we could find at the Habitat for Humanity store, the back yard and the city recyling center. He grew up in the country with chickens, cows, etc...I grew up in the city and got this crazy urge for raising chickens after reading about raising chichens in the paper several years ago. Where we live, we can have as many chickens as we want, as long as the neighbors do not complain. We purchased our chicks locally on President's Day, and got our first egg on June 21st (the first day of summer). We now get 6-7 eggs a day, many with double yolks. We have two Speckled Sussex (Belle and Tiana, we had one named Pocahontis, but she did not survive), three Plymouth Rock Bards (Jasmine, Snow White and Mulan), two Red Sex-Links (Ariel and Giselle) and one Buff Orpington named Thumbalina (my husband's favorite; we thought she was the runt, but turned out to be our biggest and most beautiful hen). We had another Buff Orpington we named Rapunsel, who turned out to be a rooster, so we changed his name to Flynn Rider and took him to live in the country with some friends who needed a new rooster! Hence the name Princess Chickens!

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota. [​IMG] It's very nice to meet you.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy and welcome aboard from Kansas! [​IMG]

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Texas [​IMG]

7. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Aw, love their names [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by