Newbie: is my chick mean?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emily_kelley, Apr 11, 2011.

1. emily_kelley

emily_kelley New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    So with no experience in chickens, but my husband does and always saying we should get some, we purchased a 3 week old BO about a week ago. I was under the impression it was a hen and wasnt until I read here that we didn't know... Whoops
    BUT today I let the chick outside to run around and it kept running at me and the kids like it was attacking us. Im sure if someone had a videotape we could win AMFV because we were all terrified of this little fluff ball. Is this normal behavior and if not how can we fix it or what did we do wrong? Especially confused since I heard BOs were the most docile.
    Thanks!

2. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    For that young of chick, my guess is that its just running towards you..not at you. My chicks run to me because outside is a scary place. I am their "momma" and so they will chase me if I walk away or if they are in my chick run when I come back to check on them they all run to me. I am guessing this is what the deal is. If it were like oh 10-12 week chick and you know its a rooster it might be showing dominance but I dont think it would be this young. Of course I dont know because I am not even sure I have roosters lol. They are still too young but I think I do!

3. emily_kelley

emily_kelley New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks! That makes sense seeing that s/he doesn't do that inside and it was the first time out. I called my husband panicking that we had an attack chicken! Lol!

4. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I have two BO's and they are very sweet. You dont even really know they are there compared to oh say the horrid RIR's I got. They are so bossy lol. I heard BO roosters are a good choice also. If my GLW roosters turn horrible I am going to look into one of those.

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I would bet it's just because she was outside for the first time and she was trying to stay close to you to feel safe. The first few times I took my chicks out they did the same thing to me. . . then they ate their first bugs and didn't want to be with me anymore [​IMG]

6. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I took my 4 week old chicks outside today and sat in the grass by them and they kept climbing up to sit in my lap.

7. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Buff orps aren't mean. They can be loud, especially when complaining... but they are sweet, and mild otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by