Newbie.... Kinda overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kawilliams, Jan 28, 2011.

1. kawilliams

kawilliams Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Hello fellow chicken lovers!! First, a little background... My husband and I have lived on our little 3 ac place since 1997. I have asked, begged really to get some chickens since we moved in, but always turned down. Recently, my neighbor across the street was moving and couldn't take her babies with her and she called me and asked if I would maybe be interested in "adopting". I litterally ran across to meet with her and the babies. It was love at first sight!!! [​IMG] I of course jumped at the offer. Coop and all!! My husband wasn't as excited. Need-less-to-say, since late October, I, WE now own 4 Buff Orpingtons Hens, 1 Buff Orpington Rooster and 6 Plymouth Rock Hens! Moving the 8x15 coop/run combination was a chore, mostly for my husband b/c he did most of the moving! I knew they were layers, but amazed at the shear amount I was collecting daily!! I think I have purchased every chicken book on the market and have read them all. BYC is THE most helpful and informational website I have found. I truly appreciate everyone who posts/replies in the forum as well as submits pictures. Now just a few short months after bringing my Brewster and the girls home, I am now drawing plans to build a bigger coop, 8x12 with a seperate (attached) 12x 20 run. My huband says I have absolutley lost my mind!! Maybe a little obsessed, but I now know I am not alone.

Oh yeah, the reason for my post.... We live just north of Houston and our Texas summers are HOT!! I was thinking of covering the entire new run with a shingled roof (the side would be open hardware cloth walls, yes/no? why or why not? Best solution for the top of the run?[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    shade is always good and something you can attach 'misters' to. to keep them cool

Congrats and welcome to BYC...so glad you joined and posted! So wish I had three acres.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG] Yes, they need shade. The roof is a great idea. [​IMG]

4. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    HI![​IMG]

[​IMG]:weee You are not the only one obsessed with chickens! No, you haven't lost your mind. A new run is always a good idea!

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] I would love to have a roof over my entire run!! I think it is a great idea. My run is too big to consider shingles. Part of it is shade cloth and the rest just bird netting. Before it gets hot, I plan to get some more shade cloth and misters up.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I am fairly new to chickens as well. Well, let me change that to roosters...I have yet to get a hen. I have had my boys for a year and just converted an old playhouse into a coop. I built my run around a tree for shade because I live in FL and we have hot summers too. I think I would leave a small area uncovered by the roof so they can play in the sun if they choose. My roos seem to love dustbathing in the morning sun and my buff orpington likes to stand in the summer rain.

My family says I am obsessed too. They get annoyed with "bird talk". Don't worry, birdaholism is contagious! My mom went from telling me I needed my head checked to helping me refence the yard so we can build the mother of all coops with a huge sectional chicken yard. Our plans even include a "loft apartment" for my little rooster to share with the new guineas I ordered. [​IMG]

7. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Welcome! [​IMG]

I say Go for the roof!!! I live in northern California with very hot summers and my girls appreciate a tin roof overhead with misters!!

8. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    [​IMG]

I've got a roof over my run and it's great. Keeps it dry in the rain, shady in the hot, much nicer overall. I used the translucent plexi stuff so it's a little like a skylight - not quite so dark and gloomy.
    Enjoy your chickens - a little obsession is good for the soul! [​IMG]

9. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Definitely give some shade to those big fluffy girls. You might even want to get some big fans for cooling in the summer. I lost a buff orp hen in a freak heatwave in Sept. It broke my heart. She gave me my first egg. [​IMG]

10. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    [I am fairly new to chickens as well. Well, let me change that to roosters...I have yet to get a hen.

How could you torture your boys!!! Chickens are family oriented. A great ratio of roosters for hens is about one rooster to five or six hens. Quick like a bunny go out and get your guys some companions before they kill each other!!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by