Newbie looking for advice on chicken tractor VS. Stationary Coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gbluemustang, Feb 20, 2017.

1. gbluemustang

gbluemustang New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    Which is best design for Chicken Tractor for 2-4 chickens? I like the idea of moving the coop around versus stationary coop.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, gbluemustang, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! You might also try just typing 'chicken tractor' into the BYC search box and read through what is sure to be a ton of old threads. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you joined BYC, please make yourself at home here, and enjoy all the chickeny folks! :frow

~Cuz

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Tractors are not stable like a regular coop and run. Predators can dig under them to get to the chickens. Large preds can turn the unit over.

6. gbluemustang

gbluemustang New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    I live in the city so no large predators to worry about. G

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under gbluemustang [​IMG] Welcome!

I saw a beautiful tractor just the other day …. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1152750/new-bycs-member-in-arkansas/10

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on drumstick diva's comment...even in the city you likely have dogs.

9. Lfulvipes

Lfulvipes Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Welcome to BYC, it is a great forum and people have been real kind so far! I feel like it is facebook without the negativity [​IMG]

So I am at this same cross roads so can only repeat what I am using to justify a chicken tractor. We don't have a huge yard and have no fences between us and the neighbors so I wont be letting the chickens roam at will, but I also don't want them to destroy my grass in one place and I do want them to eat the ticks in my yard, so that is why I am planning on using a tractor, at least to start out. I am building a pretty solid one with the hutch closable and off the ground which I hope will help with predators, but if not then maybe I'll go to a permeant coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by