Newbie looking for help choosing a breed.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bfraser, Jan 20, 2010.

1. bfraser

bfraser New Egg

Jan 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    I love this site! I've been combing through it for days, there is so much information here. Thanks!

We hoping to raise at least 50 meat birds this summer and are trying to choose a breed (or possibly 2 different breeds). Taste + tenderness are by far the most important factors. Time until processing is not such a big issue. I've been considering Freedom Rangers, Dark Cornish, Cuckoo Maran, and even Buff Orphingtons. I know it's a very subjective thing but I'd love any suggestions or thoughts.

2. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I'll be raising White Plymouth Rock, Dark Cornish and some Buckeyes for meat this Spring. I already have some Buff Orps that will give me good eggs and meat. I've done weeks upon weeks and more of research for what would be the best meat chicken and these were my final choices.

3. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    OH AND [​IMG] !!!!!!!

4. bfraser

bfraser New Egg

Jan 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks! That's really helpful. How long do you expect your Buff Orphs to grow before they reach a good weight for processing?

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    For taste + tenderness + feed conversion efficiency + least amount of time + 4-6 lb of meat + NO crowing at 3:00 AM = the number one choice of the chicken industry... the Cornish X... 6-8 weeks and bar b q here I come. I enjoy mint juleps while others with dual purpose breeds still toil with their chores for many more weeks on end . I learned this little secret the hard way raising BR, RIR. and NH from 16-22 weeks prior to slaughter.

6. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I'm not sure how long it would take. I never proccessed one before. Mine are about 6-7 months old and they are huge! I think you have to wait until they are about 24 weeks to get a decent weight. Haven't weighed mine though. I don't plan on proccessing these ones, I only have a few so I'll wait til I can hatch from them and process those.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] and just know, you will need a 14-step program once you have entered these doors!!!

That being said, yes, it is all subjective.
    If you don't want to go with the freaky, fast-growing Cornish Rock crosses, then you have a wide variety of choices. You could order an assortment of dual purpose breeds to try out and see what you like. Otherwise, any that others have already suggested would do fine for starters.
    Personally, I ordered a variety of dual purpose breeds to cross with my Dark Cornish to see what cross I like best and then will try to concentrate on one or two that work best for me and my family.

Good luck!

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    In the last 3 or 4 weeks, I have killed about 9 chickens. Only 4 of them were Jumbo X Cornishes. They each made about 2 of the araucanas in finished size. If I could figure out how to keep a few for breeding, without having them drop dead in the yard in the middle of summer from whatever kills them.....heart attack, heat exhaustion, etc, I would keep some for my own meat consumption (as in hatching their eggs). I guess I could pull it off if I have them separated from the other chickens and limit their corn and grain and increase the green and water......give them a lot of shade and such. In the meantime, I think I will get 4H chickens whenever I can. You can't beat the prices.

9. bfraser

bfraser New Egg

Jan 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    I'm totally addicted to this site. 14 step program sounds about right! [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will do a small variety and try 3-4 different breeds at first and carry over half a dozen for eggs. For most dual purpose heavies like BO or DC for example, is 20 to 22 weeks till processing about what I should expect?

Thanks again!!

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:There are variables in how long it will take to finish: males vs. female, breed, feed and if you free range or not are the biggest to consider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by