Newbie looking for info and advice on Silkies....Marek's etc

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMadness, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ChickenMadness

ChickenMadness Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Framfield
    I'm not quite sure if I'm posting this in the right section...hope I'm not wasting anyone's time. I have never kept silkies before and recently got given one by a breeder when collecting my day old Sablepoots. The reason for the chick donation was that it had a bad leg and hobbled around (I should have said no really but I'm one of those suckers that has to help injured animals) I had been told that she had put the electric hen down and trapped his/her foot under the leg. When I got home I realised that I had seen this chick before and that it had been wonky at day old. Then I started researching online and learnt of the horror that is Marek's disease. I removed it from the group of poots etc in case and after a week with no improvement I took it to my Grandfather's to be bopped, instead he kept it on carpet for a week or two and it now stands straight, runs, flys (which I believe is quite something for a silkie) and is normal in most every way.....other than being a bit small and sneezing every now and then, he does like to lay slightly on his side at times but not always the same side and it's generally followed by him attempting to have a dust bath on the carpet and making lots of mess with dust and down (not very hygienic). He got sent back to me completely convinced that he's human (I think it's a little boy) and now lives inside still much like a dog as he makes too much noise outside when I leave him (he's 8 weeks old), I have just got him a silkie girlfriend (fingers crossed) of 9-10 weeks (she's almost double his size) and so now I have two house chicks, she sneezes about as much as him and overnight produces bloody/sticky stools like those seen in chickens shedding their intestinal lining. I am looking to put them up the garden with my other chickens at the weekend/early next week and just wanted some opinions really........

1) Do you think it's possible that the first chick had marek's and recovered on his own?
    1.1) If so could he be a carrier? (He was in with pekins and sablepoots for a day before separating....none of the others had symptoms. Can't see by checking the silkie eyes for oversized iris etc....they are dark dark brown/black)
    2) Is the sneezing normal?
    3) Are the stools normal?.......and why is it only the overnight ones that are like it?

Don't want to be all doom and gloom in my first post, just looking for some reassurance that I won't be putting my other birds at risk.
    The silkie pair have only been together 2 days and are already incredibly cute and like a married couple. Together they are "Little Bit" (Boy) and "Chilly" (Girl...I hope!).

Thank you very much for any advice, answers etc.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by