Newbie looking for quite prolific breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newcanaanchicks, Aug 6, 2014.

1. newcanaanchicks

newcanaanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    New Canaan,CT
    Will be buying 4 hens for backyard. Need quite layers that are gentle. Research says that the Opringtons fit the bill but are quite broody. How about Rhode Island Reds, Delaware, and Araucana? I live in Southeast CT, where we can get some good cold snaps.
    Any thoughts would help.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If you are open to hybrids, then I would suggest Black Sex Links (Black Stars). They are hardy, calm, egg laying machines, and they can be sexed by color at hatching. Male chicks are black with a white spot on top of their heads and female chicks are solid black. The Black and Red Sex Links are the brown egg layers used by commercial laying houses because they are so prolific (my Blacks have been calmer and friendlier than my Reds which is why I'm recommending the Black Sex Links instead of the Red Sex Links. If you want a standard breed, as hybrids won't breed true, then I would suggest Black Australorps. They are very hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If you are looking for heritage chickens, then I would endorse Delawares - they are friendly, and produce lots of big brown eggs. Black sex-links are also nice if you don't necessarily want purebreds.

4. newcanaanchicks

newcanaanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    New Canaan,CT
    Thank you for all the advice.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

6. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    also if you want, u can get a couple different breeds to decide what u like best for future reference

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by