newbie looking to get tips from established chicken folks

PastorKelley

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 17, 2007
hi folks
I am looking to get tips from established folks in chicken raising last time i raised chickens and was successfully was 26 years ago now 40 going on 41 :|
we will ether be moving to MD are Carolinas in the near future
The breeds I am planing on working with
are BUFF ORPINGTONS, BARRED ROCKS, BLACK AUSTRALORPS, PEARL-WHITE LEGHORN
with the ratio of 25 hens to 3 roosters In each coop
my goals with the birds are show-eggs-meat in that order not big on killing anything except for time so thats why I put meat last
smile.png
will be ordering my intial stock from Mcmurray of course once I get to are final destination will be happy to pay a established breeder to get from stock from also
may all of you be blessed
I look forward to hearing from anyone that cares to write
Thanks
Pastor Greg Kelley
[email protected]

Hi Kelley & Welcome!

From my understanding, you'll not be getting show quality birds from McMurrays Hatchery, they are pet quality poultry. For show quality birds, you need to find a reputable dealer.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Yes I agree with Dawn, buy the best if you plan to show and you won't be replacing birds like I just went through. MM has a great variety but rarely SQ....or most hatcheries for that matter. My Ideal Poultry birds are developing quite well though, so I guess it depends on the breed or sheer luck.

Welcome to the addiction!!
gig.gif

Sounds like you are starting with a great plan. I would highly suggest getting a good book (I started with Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens), since it'll give you the lowdown on coop size, etc etc.

Best of Luck!

Meghan

Greg,
Storey publishing has a new book out called "Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds". It is $14.22 plus shipping at Amazon and is a wonderful guide to all the breeds. It is very informative and has beautiful photographs of all the breeds. You might also look at getting some of your birds from Sandhill Preservation.

Hi, Pastor. I live in the N. Ga. Mtns right at the NC line. You'll find you like the personalities of the first three better than the last, although Leghorns are great production birds. And I agree, that to find a true show quality bird out of MM stock would be rare. I breed Barred Rocks, Blue Orpingtons and Blue/Black Ameraucanas currently. My all-time favs are Barred Rocks first and Buff and Blue Orps second. Depending on the roosters themselves, you may only want two of them to 25 birds rather than three. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. We're happy to have you as part of the family. I agree with the above posts. You don't want to wear your hens down with too many eager roo's. You spoke about wanting some Buff Orp's. Although I don't know specifically what she breeds, one of our moderators "hinkjc" does do buff colored breeding. That might be a direction to look at. I wish you the best of luck. It's wonderful to see all the new members coming aboard as part of the family.

Hi and welcome to the board and back into chicken life. The buff orps are my absolute favorite. Sweet, gentle nature and massive size makes them wonderful family chickens. We spoil ours rotten and truly hand raise them from baby on up.

Jody_and_Amy_with_chicks.jpg

Feel free to look around my photo album to see some of our birds. I'll be adding some new pics in the fall (after they're done shedding their bleached out summer feathers and get their new golden winter coats).

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v185/hinkjc/

Jody

hinkjc: Just had to say...I checked out your album and loved the pics!!
love.gif
I hope to get some BO's in the spring!!! Your coops are too cute as well!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom