Newbie! Making a life long dream come true!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mayberrymarsh, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Mayberrymarsh

Mayberrymarsh New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    North Carolina
    Just wanted to say hello from NC! I've not started my flock yet, but I've made arrangements for the coop and such. Now, I've got to decide the breed. I just want egg layers, preferably docile ones. Thoughts?

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    :welcome
    Hello from Ireland.
    I am glad that you have joined the flock.
    Goodluck,
    Fionn.

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Chickens are a wonderful adventure!! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of articles that will help you set up the coop, raise the chicks, feed, water and keep them healthy all of their lives... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for docile breeds, you can't go wrong with Black Australorps or Buff Orpingtons. Both of these are considered Orpingtons. Orps are VERY docile, friendly, and very hardy health wise. I have kept other breeds and by FAR Orps ARE the healthiest and most friendly. Mine are huge on lap sitting and follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies. Here is a nice chart that you can get a feel for the breeds... http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

So make yourself at home here and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our roost! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Mayberrymarsh [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Welcome, I am in the same boat as you. Got everything sent up for them already just waiting for 'chicken' season to start in my state. I am going for egg laying hens as well and already looked into the Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Amaricana (wanted some blue and green egg layers), wyandotte, and Plymouth rocks.They also seemed like friendly layers. I'm probably getting some older silkies and polish hens as well this summer from some breeders but more so for pets than egg layers because both are so cute and I use to have a Polish hen long ago who was my barn buddy. Also if you are not looking for heritage breeds red sex links/Red Stars are GREAT layers and super friendly. I had a girl up until 2 years ago and she laid almost every day religiously (including winter), never went broody, and was happy to hang out with us all day in the gardens. She would jump into your lap and let you hold her and was very social even with strangers.

1 person likes this.
  9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by