Newbie meat chicken person

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ninny, Nov 25, 2009.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    We are thinking of raising meat birds but don't want to pluck them by hand. We found plans for the whizbang chicken plucker online. Does that work as well as they make it seem or is their a better one. And if we wanted to sell extra birds how could i find out about the laws id need to work around?

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    at the demo i went to here in florida. the member skinned them. I could not believe how easy it was. Slit up the breast and skinned the feathers off. [​IMG] Then she made slits at the end of the breast and the inners came right out. She cut off tail, feet and neck. bang it was done! I am still in shock on how quick it was! I plan on doing my 8 meaties that way.

3. Dennis A

Dennis A Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Nichols Iowa
    My whizbang works great. Would not pluck without it. Scald temp is important.

4. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
  5. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i have an even easier method for skinning, without even removing the feathers take an air compressor and, ummmm, insert it into the vent and turn it on, it'll just blow the skin off the bird without damaging the meat. i'v never tried it, but as me and 4 other people were hand plucking 43 birds we started discussing various ways to get around this and that was one of the solutions.

6. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:Inserting one end of the compressor INTO the vent one would expect the guts to explode. [​IMG]

7. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    i have an even easier method for skinning, without even removing the feathers take an air compressor and, ummmm, insert it into the vent and turn it on, it'll just blow the skin off the bird without damaging the meat.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not convinced this will actually work the way you envision it, but if you do try it please POST VIDEO. [​IMG]

8. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not convinced this will actually work the way you envision it, but if you do try it please POST VIDEO. [​IMG]

Yes, PLEASE! [​IMG]
    We just skinned ours. It worked pretty well, but the whole process of slaughtering took about an hour a bird (Including washing and shrink-wrapping). [​IMG]

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Words cannot express how good a Whizbang plucker works. We processed 75 birds in 7 hours yesterday. You can buy one online that may work a LITTLE better, but you could build about 5 Whizbangs for the price of one Featherman plucker. Laws vary by state. Check your extension office.

10. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:This is somewhat dated, but it does give contact information for state agencies that would have updated information...

http://www.apppa.org/legalstates.pdf

Of course, if the food safety bill is passed and signed into law, all bets are off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by