Newbie-My new Muscovy has gotten hurt!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AlaskaItaly, May 19, 2010.

1. AlaskaItaly

AlaskaItaly Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    I'm a newbie - just adopted 4 young Muscovy ducks last week. A friend, who was cleaning my pond, told me that when he was cleaning the pond, he got irritated with the ducks for being under his feet. He said he picked up one of them twice and was angry because she pooped on him both times.

That night, I noticed that duck was not able to walk very well. She is limping - and then plops down to ljust lay there. I've looked as best I can under her and at her feet and can not see anything obvious wrong. But this is the second day and she still is having trouble walking even a few steps.

I've picked her up and put her in the pond which she seems to enjoy - a bit of physical therapy:) She is eating and drinking well. She does not bite at me when I pick her up. The other three (one Drake and two females) tend to stay close by.

I've put her in a cage at night so she can rest and be away from the neighborhood cats. She laid an egg today but the shell was so soft that it broke in the nest. Since getting her, she has regularly laid eggs.

I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts as to what might have happened to her; what I can do about it, etc.

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Maybe internal bruising? the Guy might have given her a good kick and not mentioned it to you.

3. AlaskaItaly

May 17, 2010
    If it is internal bruising - will it heal on its own?

Thanks so much for replying.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How odd. I am having the same issue with one of my call ducks. She eats, drinks, swims fine but when she walks she scoots around on her belly. I have wondered if one of my larger males hurt her at some point. I'd be interested to hear if someone comes up with a good answer too.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I doubt that there is a good answer, ducks have week legs in a flock of 20 there isusually at least one that will be limping at any given time. If the guy threw her down there is a good chance that she landed on her feet and sprained muscles in both legs. It wil heal or it won't I don't know of anything that would help.

6. AlaskaItaly

May 17, 2010
    I wanted to update on the status of my hurt muscovy and to say thanks again to those who posted in response to my SOS.

There was a time period that I didn't think she would survive. She just didn't look good - less and less movement.

I began feeding her Earthworms as she didn't seem to be eating the regular food. I would put her in the small pool every day for her 'spa' treatment.

It has been about 5 weeks and she is now walking around, eating good and seems to be on the road to full recovery. She is limping but will go onto the nest of one of my other females with eggs to help out.

So thanks again. Whew!

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Is that person still caring for the ducks. I really hated to read that someone treated your duck like that. Not to mention what someone like that would do to any animal. Sometimes I hate people....................................

8. AlaskaItaly

May 17, 2010
    He wasn't taking care of my ducks...he was cleaning out one of my ponds while I was away.

Trust me, he is no longer living here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by