Newbie... need help figuring out pullet or cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alschirato, Aug 4, 2014.

1. alschirato

alschirato New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    PA
    I had bought 6 barred rock chicks from local feed store in June. They are now 6 weeks old. So far we had one rooster. There was no doubt, very light in color compared to others and already had a big red comb where the other 5 were dark and no comb. We decided to get rid of him. Now, 2 weeks later 3 of the 5 I have left seem to look different. Stripes are thin and close however but comb is still small and yellow. I am confused!! I assume although same batch... They do not all grow at same rate? What are the chances I buy 6 and only have 2 hens?

Also just bought 2 black wyandotte "hens" from local farm. 7 weeks old... One has white tipped feathers and other doesn't. Does this mean something?

Any help or calming words for be greatly appreciative. My goal is yo have all horns of course however I am in no hurry to get rid of. I am just trying to learn and all my findings on the internet are just making it more confusing.

Thank you

2. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    We need pictures to help.

3. alschirato

alschirato New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    PA
    [​IMG]
    Sorry this may not be helpful. I need to to see if I can get a picture with all of them together.

This is 1 of my 5 barred rocks, now 7 weeks.

4. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    That's a pullet.

5. alschirato

alschirato New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    PA
    [​IMG]

Here iI'd the best I could get with all five barred rocks.

6. alschirato

alschirato New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    PA
    [​IMG]

7. alschirato

alschirato New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    PA
    [​IMG]

Here are the two black wyabdottes. One had white tipped feathers and the other one does not. They are 8 weeks now.

8. alschirato

alschirato New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    PA
    [​IMG]

Can't see white feathers but this is a closer PIC. These two bird are still a little shy.

9. alschirato

alschirato New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    PA
    [​IMG]

Black wayndottes white tip feathers... My other one is all black. Any thoughts?

10. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Lots of black chickens have some white tipped feathers in their wings when they are young. Eventually, she will molt and lose those feathers and grow new ones, which should be all black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by