1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie needing advice please..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nealmcv, Mar 23, 2015.

1. nealmcv

nealmcv New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Hello i need some help.... i have 3 chickens and for the last 7 months they have all but stopped laying.We at first thought they where molting but it is such a long time we don't think this is the case. Also the Black Rock seams to be starting to turn white ?
    All seam health and have no problems drinking and eating. I would be great fully for any help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do you know how old they are? I am suspcious they have simply come to the end of their prime laying years.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! When did they stop laying? I'm inclined to agree with Judy.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It is possible, as Judy has suggested that they have come to the end of their laying cycle. How old are these birds? You might stop by this thread for other suggestions....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

If nothing in this thread seems to fit your situation, they very well could be done with laying.

Good luck and I hope you can get down to the bottom of this issue soon! :)

5. nealmcv

nealmcv New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Thanks for the replays. 2 of the chickens are 3 years old and the other is 2 years old. I might get 2 eggs a week if I am lucky. This has been like this for about 7 months .

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Make sure they are not eating the eggs or possibly laying them in some secret nest. Other critters could also be eating them as well.

What are the breeds? Some production breeds can lay themselves out in a couple years, this is why I ask about which breeds you are keeping.

7. nealmcv

nealmcv New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    It is enclosed runs so don't think anything could be getting in to take the eggs and there is no sign of this.The breeds are black rock (for some reason seems to be going White) and white Sussex.
    cheers again

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. nealmcv

nealmcv New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    thanks i will have a look

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by