1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie needing help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crazycateye, Jun 14, 2016.

1. crazycateye

crazycateye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    Hello all, I had chickens for several years always buying from the local farm store. However, this year I bough an incubator and have a new addiction! I have a few birds that I cant decide if they are boys or girls. Any help is greatly appreciated !

[​IMG]
    Im thinking the one furthest to Right might be a roo ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These two Salmon Faverolle chicks are 4 weeks old and I have no clue boy or girl

[​IMG]
    Maran Girl ??

[​IMG]Maran Boy ?? they had the same hatch date and are 6 weeks old

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ohh, welcome to the hatching addiction! We need a smilie that's grinning an evil grin and rubbing it's hands.....anyway.

Are the first birds light Brahmas? I do think the one is a cockerel, how old are they?

I think the second Faverolles is a cockerel, not sure on the first. Can you get a better pic?

First Marans looks like a pullet. I'm not seeing the comb on the second bird. That's pretty slow to feather, but a comb shot would help decide gender.

3. crazycateye

Mar 25, 2016
    Yes they are light Brahmas, Im not 100% sure of their age but around 10-12 weeks. I have 5 of them and all have light colored comb except this one. I will run out and see if I can get btter pics of their combs

4. crazycateye

Mar 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

Okay, I tries to get better pictures but my birds are going a little crazy because of the storm coming in. I defiantly am hooked on incubating, it has been running non stop for about two months lol... I even had to get another for my lockdown eggs ! I think I have low hatch rates right now due to my lack of experience added to the shipped egg factor. I really don't know where else to buy quality egg.

5. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    I agree, that the one light brahma is a cockerel. The brahmas pullets' combs don't turn that dark for quite awhile.

The others...I'm not too sure on. The first Maran looks like a pullet, the second one its hard to tell from that picture. Maran combs seem to reveal their gender somewhat early, big and red.

The salmon faverolles....I would guess hens, but I'm only basing that off of that I also have two about that age right now from the hatchery and they were ordered as female. So that whole guess assumes that they were sexed correctly.

6. crazycateye

Mar 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the first two are of the smaller and the second two pics are the larger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Yea, that Maran you just posted the pic of is definitely a cockerel. Still not sure with the Faverolles though, I'm just not familiar with how they color out.

8. crazycateye

Mar 25, 2016
    well this is all good news lol.... Thanks so much for the help !!

9. mypetsrchickens

mypetsrchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    The first faverolle you posted looks to be a pullet. They feather in with light feathers on the chest. I have one and she's completely white with just a few dark spots on her chest.

The second looks to be a cockerel because of the dark chest feathers.

Pullets also have light colored feet feathers and cockerels have dark feathers on their feet.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree that Marans is a cockerel. I think the Faverolles are a pair. You might ask keesmom, she breeds Faverolles and has a great eye for gender.

Where are you located? You might put an ad on your local CL, looking for hatching eggs. I'm amazed at the breeds folks are breeding within 30 miles of me---Swedish Flowers, Icelandics, Legbars, Ayam Cemani, laced and jubilee Orpingtons, Marans, Ameraucanas, lots of rare or fancy breeds. Plus lots of more "regular" breeds. Never hurts to connect with other chicken folks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by