newbie needing help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizdelc, Nov 6, 2016.

1. lizdelc

lizdelc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Iowa
    I am a new chicken owner. My flock of hens are 22 weeks old- no one is laying yet, btw-

A few days ago I noticed my easter egger had a bit of a rattle to her breathing. I put some VetRx on her nostrils, and under her wings. The next day she seemed to be recovered. This morning, when I let everyone out into their run, she went over to a small puddle where water likes to collect from the roof- morning dew. She sat there and drank, and drank, and drank. She didn't get up and walk around like she usually does and she didn't move much when I got close. When she did move, her tail was down. I watched her awhile. She does have diarrhea, and its very watery. I felt her crop- it was quite soft and obviously full of water.

I cleaned out the waterers and added garlic to one. I gave her a little water with nutridrench in it. I also gave her a dose of Kocci Free. She went over and ate well after that. I have given the chickens a pumpkin this week as a natural wormer. I also gave everyone some fresh oregano this morning because it is a powerful antibiotic.

She is still lethargic, just sleeping. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

We are organic. I don't have potent meds on hand.

I read everything I could on here-

I checked her vent, it looks fine
    her eyes are not cloudy or mucousy.
    I couldn't find any evidence of lice or mites- but I am new and not positive I would be able to see what I am looking for. Should I treat for that?

She is just really tired, and has diarreah.

Help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check her crop around the clock to see if the rattling could come from her throat because of a crop problem (Impacted, sour, or pedulous crop.) Massaging the crop several times a day may help it to empty, and it should normally be empty in early morning. Many respiratory diseases are viral, although some can be bacterial, mycoplasma, or from fungus or mold. The symptoms can include wheezing, rattles, sneezing, watery eyes, nasal mucus, and sometimes swelling of the face or eye. I would tend to bring her inside to an extra bathroom or a crate, to watch her for a couple of days (and get her away from the other chickens if she is contagious. Sometimes the crop may be slow to empty or not function well due to another illness, and is frquently seen with coccidiosis and other problems. Vet Rx is just basically herbal oils, so won't treat an acute respiratory infection. Here is a good link to read about crop problems and common respiratory diseases:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. lizdelc

Jan 5, 2014
    Iowa
    Thank you.

After reading a few of the articles, I am afraid it may be too late. She is sitting in the corner, eyes closed and her comb is bright red.
    I wish I could do something more.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't give up on her until you have tried to find out the problem. If you think her problem is not crop-related, then try getting her to eat by tempting with some moistened chicken feed, chopped egg, tuna, and a little plain yogurt mixed in. If it is respiratory, antibiotics may or may not help. Here is some info about lice and mites, and they are usually found crowling as tiny bugs around the vent, under wings, or around the neck, depending on the type:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...-signs-of-mites-or-lice-and-how-do-I-H79.aspx

5. lizdelc

Jan 5, 2014
    Iowa
    I just went out again to check on her. She does seem to have perked up a bit. This morning, she drank and drank but then she ate her normal feed. Her crop was soft from all the water, but now it feels normal and full.

I think it may be food related, as I had added some less expensive and locally available organic feed into their regular (scratch and peck) food. This morning I gave her some straight scratch and peck- she ate it up.

I have been giving her a bit of nutridrench because I figure the extra vitamins can't hurt.

I also gave her a second dose of kochi free because she perked up a bit after the 1st dose. The packaging recommends 3-4x a day.

I really can't find any mites or other creepy crawlers.

She isn't wheezing at all anymore, and hasn't in awhile. Could it still be respiratory?

Like I said, she ate well- so I am remaining hopeful, just not sure what else I can do...

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am glad to hear that she is doing some better. Is your feed a layer feed that has at least 16% protein? Since she is close to laying age, you may want to check inside her vent with one finger for a stuck egg.

7. lizdelc

Jan 5, 2014
    Iowa
    I have kept them all on grower feed as it has 17% protein, and I have a roo in my flock. They have oyster shell free choice at all times.

I looked at her vent today, but it didn't look swollen, or red, or anything. What would I do for a stuck egg? Oy. I guess I will do some more reading.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you feel a stuck egg in there, you can give her a calcium tablet or Tums orally, and then soak her bottom in some warm water in a tub. If you don't feel an egg, then just watch her.

9. lizdelc

Jan 5, 2014
    Iowa
    She didn't make it.
    I know they are livestock, and you're not supposed to get attached, but I'm heartbroken.

I'm going to have to chalk it up to my inexperience. If I had only caught it sooner...

At this point, I think it must have ultimately been a crop issue- as was your first instinct. I have looked over all the hens- much to their protest- and they all seem healthy and robust.

I will be paranoid and obsessive for awhile though.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm really sorry that you lost her. Sometimes we don't know what kills them. Necropsies by the state vet when the body has been refrigerated can sometimes help to figure out what was wrong. It is hard to do one at home on a pet chicken, but sometimes we can learn from doing a necropsy, when something like a stuck egg, a crop impaction, or egg yolk peritonitis is found. Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by