Newbie needing help :)

Boothie

Hatching
Feb 2, 2015
Hi, I'm new to having chickens and have been given 3 - an australorp x & 2 silky bantams (1 is x leghorn). I've been told by 1 person that I have 2 roos & 1 hen, but I was told the other day that I have 3 hens. Can anyone confirm for me please?

Biggest is a roo, has saddle feathers... brown is a hen... white might be roo, but need a clear side pic showing tail base better...

From the pictures I see three hens, What did the peeps who gave you the chickens tell you? Also in your description I read as 4. Australorp, 2 silkies, and a leghorn. I just don't know which you think are silkies. The pictures are slightly deceiving. Does the largest of the group have sickle feathers in the tail, That is an indicator of a rooster if so.
But most importantly
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for getting back to me so quick. The largest (australorp x) was given to me with another chicken but our dog got into the yard. I contacted the person who gave them to me with a photo of the remaining chicken & was informed that the dog got the hen & we were left with the roo. We were then given the 2 silkies (1 which is crossed with a leghorn) and told that they are both hens (this person has since come over to our house & told us that we have 3 hens - which is why I'm confused & checking).

Yep, your Australorp x is a roo, the pic from above shows his saddle feathers better... just need a better pic of the white one (silkie x leghorn) to see if it's a roo or hen... brown is a hen, and I'd say she is a Silkie cross too...
With what they are saying, I am not 100% sure they are Silkie crosses... they look more like Cochin crosses, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom