Newbie needing help :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Boothie, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Boothie

Boothie New Egg

Feb 2, 2015
    Hi, I'm new to having chickens and have been given 3 - an australorp x & 2 silky bantams (1 is x leghorn). I've been told by 1 person that I have 2 roos & 1 hen, but I was told the other day that I have 3 hens. Can anyone confirm for me please?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Biggest is a roo, has saddle feathers... brown is a hen... white might be roo, but need a clear side pic showing tail base better...

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    From the pictures I see three hens, What did the peeps who gave you the chickens tell you? Also in your description I read as 4. Australorp, 2 silkies, and a leghorn. I just don't know which you think are silkies. The pictures are slightly deceiving. Does the largest of the group have sickle feathers in the tail, That is an indicator of a rooster if so.
    But most importantly [​IMG]

4. Boothie

Boothie New Egg

Feb 2, 2015
    Thank you for getting back to me so quick. The largest (australorp x) was given to me with another chicken but our dog got into the yard. I contacted the person who gave them to me with a photo of the remaining chicken & was informed that the dog got the hen & we were left with the roo. We were then given the 2 silkies (1 which is crossed with a leghorn) and told that they are both hens (this person has since come over to our house & told us that we have 3 hens - which is why I'm confused & checking).[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep, your Australorp x is a roo, the pic from above shows his saddle feathers better... just need a better pic of the white one (silkie x leghorn) to see if it's a roo or hen... brown is a hen, and I'd say she is a Silkie cross too...
    With what they are saying, I am not 100% sure they are Silkie crosses... they look more like Cochin crosses, maybe?

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The brown bird looks like your only pullet to me.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by