Newbie needing information about incubator.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jim Boy, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Jim Boy

Jim Boy New Egg

Sep 28, 2012
    I've been in chickens for about three years now and have done very well with purchased chickens and chicks. Recently nearly my whole flock was wiped out by some varmint. I looked into purchasing and found how much the cost is now to do that. So I purchased an old Sears Roebuch round metal incubator on Craigslist. It did not have Thermometer or Hydrometer on it. I purchased a new GQF 3018 Thermometer/Hygrometer, followed directions for installation. I'm confused and maybe someone out there can help. My question is, after removing wick is the thermometer suppose to stay at 85 or increase to 99? This is my first time to try to incubate eggs. Hopefully some can advise. Thank you.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your chickens. Look at the section Kevin suggested. The sticky thread (on top in blue) is full of fantastic info. And there are a few incubator gurus hanging out there! Good luck with your 'bator and your hatch!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jim Boy, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Sorry to hear about your lost birds! I hate losing birds at all, but when a predator gets them, I get [​IMG]As I know squat about incubators, I second the advice given by Kevin565. I wish you the best!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry to hear about your losses :hugs Do try the link Kevin provided and good luck :thumbsup

6. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and greetings from Kentucky! So sorry for your loss. Kevin has given you the correct link. Please try posting your question there. You should get your answer very fast. I'm not too familiar with incubation and cannot provide you with much needed help. I do however have a 'live' incubator at the moment! One of my silkie pullets has became broody and has been sitting on her fourteen eggs for the past 5 days now! [​IMG]

Again welcome to BYC!

Steve

[​IMG]

7. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    sorry about your loss, x4 on kevin's advice.

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    [​IMG]

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] hope you get your incubator questions answered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by