Newbie needs advice on chicken coop

HenriettaBB

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
hi I have three three-week old chicks and they are outside for the first time. what type of bedding do you recommend?

Is this for your coop or your run?

There are a bunch of ways to do it. Some use sand, others prefer hay or straw (there are several types of each). Lots of people use wood shavings, as they are cheap and easy to buy in stores. I know that at least some people use leaves or grass clippings from their yard, this works too and is free.

Here is a thread where other members were advising another newbie about this: Coop bedding- what do you prefer?? I found the many replies here very, very helpful.

There are pros and cons to every method out there, and many can depend on the climate where you live. For example, if you live in a super windy place, you probably shouldn't use sand bedding, at least not in your run. It will get everywhere! Whereas another person in a another part of the world might love sand for it's ease of cleaning and scooping. It really depends on what you prefer I think. One person who has tons of trees in their backyard and who doesn't mind bustin' out the rake will probably use leaves, somebody next door to them who also has trees might dislike all the work that entails and instead choose wood shavings.

Thnx for the info, very helpful
1f61c.png

Back
Top Bottom