Newbie needs advice/opinions on my new flock, please!

Nigellas

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
As I'm sure it's very obvious, I'm very new at this... I just picked up my hens today!
smile.png
Being a newbie, I was hoping you all could take a look at the girls and tell me if they are "ok" - they look a little jangly to me... I'm not sure if this is normal chicken ware, or if they need attention.

They are Dutch Bantams. I was told they are a year, but this woman had a TON of birds, I think it might be easy to mix of birth dates. When I picked them up, they were being housed in a small wire-bottom cage with a bunch of other DB hens. I'm kind of wondering if they were crowded?

I think for starters, I'm maybe just not used to bantams in general. I've only ever been around full sized chickens. That could be part of my hang up on why they look a little ragged?

So here's my concerns - they are all missing feathers on their necks. My husband is concerned that they are mangy - haha. The woman I got them from told me they were molting... Is that normal this time of year? Is this what it looks like?

Also, the littlest one is really small - she is literally no larger than a pigeon. Her tail feathers look like they have been broken off and her comb is really small compared to the other two. - Will her tail feathers grow back in? Do you really think she is full grown?

I've included a bunch of photos so that you can see the feather loss and the size difference - any thoughts/advice you have is much appreciated!
smile.png

chickens014.jpg

chickens009.jpg

chickens004.jpg

chickens003.jpg

First let me say, very pretty! As for her knowing thier age....I see they are banded. I am guessing she has some sort of records, or system, so she can remember thier ages. As for the " baldness" I agree with Cyn...molt. Also looks like they were grabbed by a roo? Were they in with roos?? I would go ahead and dust them tho..just in case.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for the info on molting.
smile.png
But what about the little one? Is that type of a size difference normal? Is she just a runt?
wink.png
And what about her tail feathers? Is there a problem with them being broken?
I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the reassurance, we are already crazy over these girls, it was making me sad to think there might be something wrong with them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom