Newbie needs advice re pasty butt Please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MollyMalone, Mar 5, 2017.

1. MollyMalone

MollyMalone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Hi learned chicken peeps. I have 9 chicks (cream legbar, barnevelder, blue copper maran, Cochin, red & black sex link and a sapphire) all 6 days old from a local breeder. Last night I noticed the Cochin had what looked like pasty butt. I washed his bottom in warm water and the poop came off, I put some neosporin on and popped him back in the brooder. This morning I noticed the sapphire pecking at the Cochins butt. I washed him again and dried his butt with a hairdryer so pink skin wasn't as noticeable (or enticing). Problem is that if I put olive oil or neosporin on him it makes his feathers look wet and he becomes a target again. Should I set up another brooder and put him in on his own for a day or two? I feel terrible that I don't have a second brooder set up but can do it if you guys think it's necessary. Or - do I skip the neosporin and or olive oil?
    They have ACV in their water and I have given them some oats, boiled egg, grit and crushed mealworms in addition to their chick starter.
    Worried mum. The sweet Cochin seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

2. MollyMalone

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I'm also giving them some probiotic powder as I heard that can help. Anything else I should be doing?

3. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    I am by no means an authority on the subject, but I did have some pasting issues, too. I used to have one little chick who pasted up all the time. I would always rinse in warm water until the poop came off, and then blow dry her with the blow dryer set on LOW. I never used neosporin. I would put her back in the brooder with the others and watch for a few minutes, to be sure she was not being attacked. Good luck!

4. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    The probiotic is good. Also, if you are not giving them unlimited feed, let them drink water before you feed them. It helps prevent pasting up.

5. MollyMalone

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Thanks! I think I'll stop with the neosporin then and just put him back in after a blow dry :D

6. MollyMalone

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I was a bit concerned that maybe the Cochin wasn't drinking enough since he's the only one who has the mucky bottom but he seems to be drinking as much as the others. They all seem to like the ACV. I was putting some sugar in their water but have stopped that as I read that could cause pasty butt.
    Oh my! What a worry they are! And what an absolute delight!!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you providing digestive grit in the appropriate size to go along with the oats and mealworms?
    Good size on brooder with a cool side as well as heated side?

1 person likes this.
  8. MollyMalone

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Hello - yes I'm giving them chick grit and the heat in the brooder seems fine. I have a Brinsee eco whatsit heater rather than a lamp and the chicks seem to be just right with temperatures. There's plenty of space, they move around, play and don't pile up but sleep next to each other. The pasty butt seems to have cleared up with the probiotics and since I stopped the sugar water. Thanks for your help! I have to say that blow drying my sweet little cochin's bottom was an unexpected pleasure :D

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    If you continue to have a pecking problem on bare skin, get a product called blue kote. Chicks don't peck at blue. The kote makes the area blue so the other chick's aren't attracted to it.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Dr. Naylor,s Blu-Kote in spray or to daub on . At tractor supply and other places.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by