Newbie needs advice - roo with tail picked off - bloody and gaping raw

momofthree

Songster
10 Years
Jan 5, 2010
Skiatook, OK
I posted this yesterday https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=357087

and
when we were out picking blackberries, my son (7) came running out to me asking if it was normal for a chicken to have a bloody bottom. I tell him to go catch the one he is talking about and i am coming.

I get over there and he has caught our Welsummer Roo (about 8 weeks or so in age) and his entire back tail end about the size of a silver dollar area is bloody, and raw, and you can see the skin pulsating...sorta looks like those pictures you see of a heart, how it is contracting...the area is doing that, i think it is around where his poo comes out and you can see the straw part of the broken off feathers that are still attached and it is just gruesome looking

He is panting and i immediate removed him to a cage near by but separated from the rest of the flock with his own food and water. I don't know what to do? will he survive? Do i treat his wounds (that just makes me shudder).....

Please, i am a total newbie and this is my first disaster and i have only had chickens for about 3 - 4 weeks now. Thanks everyone!

i forgot to add that i did try to get pics with my phone and i will try to post them, but the sun was in the wrong angle and i had major sticky hands, etc. from berry picking. i will try to get a better pic later.

We had chicks - maybe 4 weeks old - get attacked by a possum. Out of 8 chicks, two escaped unscathed, and one looked like he/she had half of its wing eaten off; I could see the bone sticking out. It looked like it was ready to give up the ghost. I handed the little thing over to my husband to hold and keep warm "till it dies" I told him, while I fixed a quick makeshift pen for the other two in bathroom. By the time I had them all situated, the injured one was still hanging on, so I squirted some neosporin onto the wound(mostly for the lidocaine), put it in it's own box with heat lamp, food and water, and then it was time to go to church. When we got home, my husband went in first - to take the dead one away, but it was still breathing. It looked a little touch and go for a couple of days, but then it started eating again - it had been drinking only - and it's now keeping up with the other two like nothing ever happened!
To make a long story short - I know, too late - I would squirt some neosporin on the wound, keep him secluded, and he will probably recover.

I agree. Make a quiet place for the guy separate from the others, keep him dosed with anti-bacterial salve as best you can and see how he responds. I would also suggest adding some electrolytes to the water, it would not hurt. [ TSC, Farm & Fleet, Big R and the like have it for less than $5.00 for a pouch that will make over 100 gallons, save the leftover for your "chicken kit" that you will be amassing]

thanks yall. two people i talked in IRL said he may not make it...but i put him in a large animal crate inside the coop with his own food and water and will go tomorrow to get the electrolytes. he had stopped panting when i went out and checked on him when i closed up the coop.

this just surpised me. i figured being a roo and all, he would have stood up to her.

think i should get rid of the hen that did that? i am def. gonna keep and eye out and see if she starts messing with the others.

Back
Top Bottom