1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie needs advice.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tahnee Lee, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Tahnee Lee

Tahnee Lee New Egg

Dec 9, 2016
    I am a 'newbie'. I have used this page with research such as deworming, but finally made an account today. I am on need of guidance.

I butchered my first chicken today. Did the whole process myself. I have assisted with butchering two turkeys last year so I am not completely 'green'.

When removing the innards today I noticed this terrible [​IMG]odor. I did not bust the bile sac or anything. The odor is cpming from a specific place. (I'll post a picture). Is that the liver? What could this smell mean, diseased?

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Well done for butchering your first one solo. Not easy I know.
    Was this a cockerel or a hen/pullet? The object looks like a lash egg, but obviously that is not possible if the bird was male. Seeing it in situ with the other organs would have given us more idea as to what it is. It certainly doesn't look like a liver or any organ that I am familiar with. Do you have any other photos of the organs? If this was a hen that had stopped laying then the lash egg theory is more likely.

The other possibility is that it's a tumour. I had a pullet with Marek's disease that had tumours that looked similar. Can you cut it in half and take another photo of the inside?

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I have no idea but do want to say hello and it's nice you're here!

1 person likes this.
  4. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Tahnee Lee [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I too have never butchered a bird so can not help with your query but I just wanted to say that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There are threads on BYC re: processing chickens. Maybe someone there could tell you what this is. [​IMG]

7. Tahnee Lee

Tahnee Lee New Egg

Dec 9, 2016
    It was a lash egg! I have found one another inside a nesting box a few weeks ago. I didnt think much of it because the girls have been going through a change with new 16x8 new coop. The construction was a good amount of streas around them. I know my flock is sick with something though. Poopy butts :/

[​IMG]

8. Tahnee Lee

Tahnee Lee New Egg

Dec 9, 2016
    Thank you!

9. Tahnee Lee

Tahnee Lee New Egg

Dec 9, 2016
    Thanks!

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I have never butchered a chicken before (and never plan to) but I am glad you found out what it was! I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by