1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie needs advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ashyannehand, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I have 11 hens and 1 rooster. They are about 5 1/2 months old and I am starting to get eggs!! (So excited)
    I would really like, if possible to have chicks before winter. I live in South Mississippi so winter does not really set in until November. Do I have time? When do I know my hens are ready? Thanks so much for the help.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I think you are talking about having one or more of your hens go broody? If that's the case then there is nothing you can do about it. Hens go broody on their own and when they are 'feeling' like it. You cannot force a hen to go broody. There are some breeds that go broody more often and some that never go broody.

You'll know a hen has gone broody because she will pick a nest area and sit and stay! She won't get up and she will likely "growl" and peck at you if you come near her.

If you are wanting fertile eggs to hatch in an incubator then you need to give the girls time to lay a larger egg and the roo a chance to figure out his job. I'm thinking when they are around nine months old but someone else may correct me on that. (I've never done the incubator thing .. I have had a broody.)

3. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Thanks Chirpy,

I thought that I may have to wait until they were older but I was not sure. I have never done any of this before and I want to get it right. I have really enjoyed having the hens and love to watch the rooster strut around. I would like to let the hens go to broody and not use an incubator. I have read up on the process of collecting the eggs and saving them once a hen is ready but was not sure how old they needed to be. I will watch for a stubborn hen and then I will know! lol!

I would love any other advice anyone has for me. Thanks to you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by